C5 electric hydraulic pump and burned capacitor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kimmoh
My Cars:

C5 electric hydraulic pump and burned capacitor

Post by kimmoh »

Hi
My C5 has refused to lift the front, the rear suspension raises fine. The pump is running but it burned the maxi fuse after I kept the pump running for a while- replaced the fuse and it runs again.
I have cleaned the front suspension circuit with compressed air to make sure the aren't blockages that could prevent front raising.
Fit me the pump sounded like it was bit too noisy so I removed it and had a look. I could not separate the pump from the hydraulic unit but managed to remove the end of the pump to have a look inside.
The 22uf capacitor had burned. There was hardly anything left of it. There was just enough capacitor cover left to read the capacitor type.
Now,I wonder if the burned capacitor could have reduced the power of the pump so much it cannot lift the front but can still raise the lighter rear of the C5? I read somewhere that the faulty running capacitor wild reduce the power of an electric motor.

Cheers,
Kimmo
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: C5 electric hydraulic pump and burned capacitor

Post by Clogzz »

The capacitor will be 0.22µF because 22 is electrolytic size.
Don’t think that it can reduce the power of a DC motor; it looks like an interference suppressor.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389