2006 relay 2.2 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markyr
New User

2006 relay 2.2 hdi

Post by markyr »

Hello all, having a problem with my van. Both of the radiator cooling fans activate from cold start up and the engine management light comes on at the same time. This continues until the water temp gets near to operating temp then both fans stop and engine management light goes off and the motor then runs beautifully. Have spoken to several mechanics all of whom scratch their heads at this one.
Some say it's it's the ambient air temp sensor playing up, while others say it's water temp sensor. Either way I cannot find these items.
So far I have checked fuses, relays and thermostat which are all normal and good.
The other odd thing is I have noticed is that the cooling fans have never activated to cool the engine not even in standing traffic on a hot day. the temperature gauge always stays constant at just below 90 degrees.
If this problem has been discussed before I do apologize, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Currently I have unplugged both fans to stop them working and draining the battery when I leave the vehicle.

Kind regards

Mark
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2006 relay 2.2 hdi

Post by Peter.N. »

You have an odd one there Mark, having said that, with modern electronics most problems appear odd. I think a faulty sensor is quite likely, you really need someone with a Lexia to read the fault codes.

Peter
Bick

Post by Bick »

I doubt a lexia copy will diag your relay but an autocom will because it did mine, lots of garages have trouble diaging vans.

I had this problem with mine with the fans coming in and the engine light illuminating! I did the diag with my autocom and it said coolant temp sensor.
Mine turned out to be a poor connection on the sensor - sprayed connector and it sorted it.

I would check the wiring to the coolant sensor first then if this is not the problem replace the coolant sensor.

Don’t worry about the fans never coming in when in traffic as they never do in the UK mine never goes above 90 like yours.
If you are near Birmingham I will diag it for you.
markyr
New User

Post by markyr »

Hi, thanks for the responses. I assumed the water temp sensor was causing the problem. Funny thing is I cannot find the damned thing. Have looked on the thermostat housing but found nothing. the only other place logically would be on the head somewhere but no joy there either. Sorry if I seem like a numpty but i've been all over and under the engine but still not found anything apart from oil pressure and level sensors, oh and lots to do with fuel.
Please feel free to offer advice to it's whereabouts so I can check it.

kind regards
Mark
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

you will probably find it on the radiator
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
brittleware

Post by brittleware »

It's not on the radiator on the 2.2 HDi as fitted to the C8. It's in a horribly inaccessible position (what did you expect?) to the left (looked at from the front) of the engine air filter behind the small coolant hose immediately below/beside it. (This working from Citroen DocBackup diagrams here, pretty good.)

If you take off the top of the air filter you *should* be able to disconnect the sensor and give the connections a clean or spray. I'm doing the same thing tomorrow as I have just experienced the joys of erratic temperature gauge readings and over temp. warnings minutes after a cold start. I'll contribute more when I've done it...
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Your van (if it is the 2006 on model) is most probably fitted with the 2.2tdci Ford Transit engine. This is a Ford engine and bears no relationship to the PSA 2.2L DW12 engine. I think that these engines use a cylinder head temperature sensor rather than a coolant temperature sensor. It senses the metal temperature not the coolant temperature I have not had problems with this sensor so far so I cannot give you any more info at the moment. Someone out there can probably fill you in some more.http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fords ... 059_p1.jpg
flashard
New User

Post by flashard »

Hi
Having similar problems with my 55 2.0 HDI.
Small fan comes on from cold start along with engine management light. Fan running like a mad thing for about 3-4 mins, drops revs on engine and I assume it may be in limp mode. Then fan stops, engine management light goes out and all is fine for the journey. Then if I stop for an hour or so and then start up again same problem. Tried disconnecting the fan but engine management light is still on so I assume it is being told there is a fault somewhere else ( unless the fan not being connected would show as a fault ! ) Any help and pointers much appreciated.
Bick

Post by Bick »

my 06 relay 2.0 hdi had the identical problem - mine turned out to be poor connection on the tempature sensor a bit of a bitch to get at though!