Idle at 3000rpm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantian

Idle at 3000rpm

Post by xantian »

Hi all,
I have got a 94/95 xantia 1.8. it's developed a problem recently. the engine unable to maintain at 3000rpm, it fluctuates between 2000 and 4000rpm. I took it to the citroen dealer, they said it shows no fault on their computer. Can someone please shed some light as I can't pass the test because they couldn't test the emission due to this fault?
Thank you
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Might be the throttle body - or throttle potientiometer. A flat device at end of the butterfly/throttle axle. Similar in function to your stereo's "volume" control - the older species.
When these wear out - the ECU gets a wrong signal - but still reacts to it as being a working signal - hence no fault codes.
Most common cause to engines spooky life of their own.
It's a bit expensive - but once replaced - should readily last another 8y's.
xantian

Post by xantian »

Can you tell me the name of component that needs to be replaced, and how much it's gonna cost me? is there any chance I can do it myself?
Thanks again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not as expensive as I first thought [:)]
from GSF on-line shop list :
N18718 THROTTLE POTENTIOMETER XANTIA INJ PETROL MODELS 29.00 (+ VAT)
Have not tried replace it on a Xantia - but I expect it to be a rather simple DIY job.
It's located on throttle housing - or the "carburettor" in good old terms.
Usually it's fixed with 2 screws - and have a multiplug attached.
Be sure the unit engages correctly to the throttle axle before torquing down the unit. The throttle axle should have a flat that ensures a one-way fitting only.