More woes. Gear cables and radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ThePriest
My Cars:

More woes. Gear cables and radio

Post by ThePriest »

So having solved one problem two more appear. Well one was there before but not so bad.

The gearchange has gotten very stiff in the side to side movement (every now and then it will loosen a bit) so that changing down from 5>4 or 3>2 has become very difficult. Took it into my local indi (http://www.citroenpeugeotwales.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Who for a mere £27 diagnosed a cable failure. I have sourced a second hand stick and cables but how hard are these to fit? Can I withdraw the stick/cables inside the car and thread the replacement back through or does the exhaust/heat shield etc have to come off? Is there a guide somewhere?

The second problem is just odd. After a few minutes the radio now decides to start searching through the stations continuously. No idea why. Is this a known problem? How do I get the radio out?

Thanks in advance.
2001 C5 Saloon 2.0 HDi Diesel LX
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: More woes. Gear cables and radio

Post by citroenxm »

Ah.. the dreadded C5 problems start to come along. I hope it never gets as bad as one I was working on for a customer!!

The cables are renewable indivudally, theres no need for a new gear lever.. However, the lever control house has to go DOWN out the bottom, which is yes.. an exhaust off job... The housing is openable and the cables pop off the lever inside the control house.

Easy enough to do once off the car, getting it off the car a fiddle.. typically...

Radio removal is simple.. Pop the side pastic bits immideatly on each side of the radio and there two screws behind there... remove and take radio out...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
ThePriest
My Cars:

Post by ThePriest »

Don't suppose you could give a rough step by step as I do not have a workshop manual :-( Garage said they could do it but it would be three hours labour which works out expensive, The part I have available is second hand and includes the gearstick and cables. I was hoping I could release the gearbox end and attach some strong string, pull it out inside the car and then guide the replacements cables back in with the string but if it only comes off underneath then that idea is out the window,
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Wow.. blimey. um it was about four years ago.. um.. get the car up on ramps.. or SECURELY as high as possible and MAKE SURE ITS SECURE AND SAFE!! . un do the exhaust down pipe at the manifold up behind the engine and un attach it after the cat... then go along the heat sheild and remove the securing studs.. twist them with a screw driver while gently pulling down.. remove the heat shield.. you will then see the bottom of the gear stick house with the cables comming out of it.. release the cables off the gearbox. they are sec ured by U shaped spring clips that just need lifting upwards.. screw driver for lifng them they are tight.. pop the ball joints ontop of the box...

then im not certain lift the gear gaitor inside the car you may be able to get at the four bolts that hold the house inplace.. if not then its centre console out which i cannot remember how too...

unforunally theres no simple feed and pull method..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
ThePriest
My Cars:

Post by ThePriest »

Thanks for this it's is a great help. Can't figure why it would take then three hours especially as they have a car lift, Sounds more like an hour tops.
ThePriest
My Cars:

Post by ThePriest »

Oh one other thing. How do you get the gear knob off?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

the gear knob i dont know.. the lever is attached to the workings inside the box under it. I had no need to touch the lever and knob when i did the cable.. you will see wuen you get it off the car..

an hour providing everything goes well.. the U spring clips can be tight and a sod to remove...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
ThePriest
My Cars:

Post by ThePriest »

Well at last good news. I managed to pick up the cables and the gearstick together for £30 at my local scrappy, Result. Another £50 and they were fitted and I am very glad from the mechanics comments I did not decide to do this myself. And the outcome? Drives like a dream
ThePriest
My Cars:

Post by ThePriest »

Now the radio is another problem. I decided to fit an aftermarket unit without success. I seem to have blown a fuse (or two) but cannot find it. I replaced the ignition fed one in the glove box but I cannot find the direct feed fuse which is also blown. Any ideas? Not sure if it is connected but the centre console and multi function display backlights also seem to be out.