ZX 1.9D Hot Start Saga Continues....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

ZX 1.9D Hot Start Saga Continues....

Post by martyhopkirk »

<b></b><font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="purple"></font id="purple">Thanks to all who replied to my last post regarding the trouble i was having with the hot starting of my 110k mile ZX diesel. Now its developed, after replacing the fuel filter, checking all the lines, replacing the battery (it wouldnt have lasted winter anyway) its developed!
Its still a bugger to start when hot, though flooring the accelerator whilst cranking helps.... but now its taken to cutting out for no apparent reason following a run down the motorway (i do 60 miles a day in it at 80ish) when changing down a gear to come to a stop, i dip the clutch and it dies.
Furious cranking then ensues and away it goes again as if nothing was wrong.
Hey ho, anybody got a rag and a match?[xx(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well -
At least one thing is for sure : it's a fuelling problem.
- you don't have to bugger with any ignition problem as on petrols.
My experience is limited to BX diesels - so any my suggestions is based on problems thought to possibly exist also on a ZX variant.
The highspeed engine braking problem you now seems to suddenly have - exists in a lean fuel situation.
This points to problems in the fuel regulation - the roto diesel.
Have you checked for any blocked fuel tank vent hoses - even a dodgy plastic vent valve somewhere near the tank ?
On the BX diesel a fuel heater is fitted to rear right on engine - the pipe studs glued in - known to leak air into the fuel system.
If still original fuel hoses/piping - your ZX has now reached a stage where rust pinholes & cracked rubber hosing may develop in the fuel lines.
Most sure (but bothersome) way to test the fuel lining - is to have them pressurised - then look/listen for any air/fuel escaping - preferrably using soapwater brushed over the linings. Any leak will immediately develop soapbubbles.
The air introduced this way is easy to remove later using the handpump.
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

hi.
I could be way off base here, is the stop solinoid (spelling!!) good?
I this because I'm fitter for JCB and we had a 360 digger that showed these problems when the engine was running at high revs. Turned out to be an internal winding fault that got bad when really hot.
94 xanta 1.9td sx 170000
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I've known the solenoids on fuel pumps do this, had one on a 205 do it but it only mucked about for a couple of days before it went completely open circuit.
Have you checked the idle lever setting, has its stop screw come loose.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with all that has been said so far. I was surrised when i changed the fuel filter to find that on of the pipes was only a push fit onto the impressive looking banjo connector and that the other one had been fitted with a clip probably after manufacture. I mention this as with age these things all get slacker and you could be drawing air in somewhere as Anders suggests. You try replacing the section of feed pipe nearest the pump with transparent plastic braided hose (firmly clipped) and see if there are any bubbles in the fuel indicating an air leak somewhere.
If you suspect the stop solenoid, remove it and take out the plunger and any other bits that look like falling into the pump. Replace the body to seal the hole and see if it makes any difference. To stop the engine you can use the lever on top pf the pump (marked STOP) and if you're really concerned, you may be able to attach a string to it and lead it to somewhere accessible from outside the car. (Otherwise stop the engine by stalling it in 5th gear) This would give you a rough and ready indication if the solenoid is playing up.
jeremy
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<b></b><font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font color="purple"></font id="purple">Hello, thanks for the help with the previous entry. hot start problem now cured following tedious replacment of all fuel lines. however its now clocked 125k with no other problems. Thanks to all who replied.