Xantia 1.8 drain plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grant

Xantia 1.8 drain plug

Post by Grant »

where is the water drain plug on my 1.8 1993. The 1.6 and 1.8 are supposed to be on the front.2ltr and diesel on back.
Got people stumped on this, know one seems to Know.
Is it next to the oil filter?
Grant
[:(]
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Hang tight Grant. Someone WILL know on this fantastic forum. Do you have a Haynes manual?
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I think you have Mr Haynes because you appear to have quoted him verbatim. I did mine a couple of years ago (need to do it again this year) but I seem to remember the front. If no-one replies to you by 18:00, I'll take a digital photo of where I believe this is and post it. Good luck
Grant

Post by Grant »

Thanks, this would help alot. Its a 1993 1.8 Auto 8v. Yes I looked in haynes and it says 1.8 and 1.6 on front. 2.o and I think the diesel are on the back (so Iv been told). Haynes gives a nice pic of the rad drain plug though. (well ta, even I could have found that).
Grant
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Grant,
When I changed the rad in my TD I got the front up on ramps and drained the system from the rad drain (plus taking the hoses off the rad. I got about 8 litres in the bucket, and there was plenty on the floor (9 litre capacity), so I didn't bother with the block drain.
Richard
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

I had a similar experience with my 2.0, 16v petrol when changing the water pump. Had the car up on a lift and did not find any obvious drain plugs so I had to be contend with draining of via the radiator and the water pump.. Like to know where it is though for future reference.
Mads
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

Grant,
When I changed the rad in my TD I got the front up on ramps and drained the system from the rad drain (plus taking the hoses off the rad. I got about 8 litres in the bucket, and there was plenty on the floor (9 litre capacity), so I didn't bother with the block drain.
Richard
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font size="2">Actually I think you're right here. When I did mine a couple of years ago, I was told not to bother with the drain plug at all. I've forgotten the guy who gave me this advice but I reckon he's the sort to be on this forum. Would you be satisfied with this resolution Grant?</font id="size2">
Grant

Post by Grant »

As long as I get all the fluid out and dirt, Im not to bothered.
I would like to avoid taking the bottom hoze off because im a bit woried that it wont go on again and or I will brake the clip.
Will most of it drain through the rad anyway?
Isnt the rad drain as low as the dottom hoze, ie doesnt the water natualy flow down the bottom hoze to the rad?
Could a put it on a downward slope to help out?
Grant.