C4, best engine options & recommendations

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

C4, best engine options & recommendations

Post by handyman »

I am in the market for a smaller Citroen, now that my wife's ZX is toast and I was thinking of replacing it with a C4. I'd be interested in hearing comments and recommendations about the engine options available. What is good, bad, rubbish, etc. Overriding need is for economy as SWMBO does a round trip of about 45 miles a day.

Handyman
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C4, best engine options & recommendations

Post by Peter.N. »

The best Hdi engine is the 2.0 Hdi, 8 valve but I don't think they use it in the C4, I think all of the diesels engines are very good on fuel and if the oil is changed more often than specified you shouldn't have any problem with them.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

90 bhp 1.6 diesel, you get the £30 road tax, and best mpg, as said, change the oil every 6000 miles, and flush for 10 mins before dropping it out. Thrash the engine hard, it will last well.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Lighty wrote:90 bhp 1.6 diesel, you get the £30 road tax, and best mpg, as said, change the oil every 6000 miles, and flush for 10 mins before dropping it out. Thrash the engine hard, it will last well.

dont touch the 1.6 HDI 110hp [-X :roll: ,
horrible thing to work on :evil: :evil:

and try to steer clear of models with the DMF ( 110hp all engine optiopns i belive )
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Good choice on possibly opting for a C4, Richard, I rate them highly. =D>

I've been running my 2007 C4 Loeb Edition (3 Door, Coupe) for about 5 months now and overall I really like it. It's got the 1.6 16v Petrol engine (110BHP) which isn't too bad an engine, the only thing I would say is that it likes to rev high and when cruising I really do want another gear. According to the trip computer I'm getting just under 40MPG which isn't too bad really... Power isn't too bad really, although it starts to get moving once the revs are up and the 16 valves are really going - a tad sluggish down low but drop a gear and away you go... :)

I wanted the Loeb edition and in an ideal world a diesel too for the economy, however the 1.6 HDi's advertised at the time were mostly later cars and thus too expensive so I opted for the more common to the Loeb, the 1.6 Petrol. In one way I'm glad I've got the petrol as you do hear these horror stories of turbo's blowing, although due to lack of correct maintenance by the owners... :roll:

Aesthetically I prefer the styling of the Coupe especially with the rear spoiler, however as always it's down to personal preference! Don't forget they all got the fantastic fixed centre steering wheel! :-D

For info there is a huge knowledge base on the C4 here - http://c4owners.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - very helpful and there's not much they don't know about the C4 over there...
Franklin