Looking at a 406 TD

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Looking at a 406 TD

Post by Chlorate »

Hi all

I'm a bit of a Citroen man myself, but recently I've had to say goodbye to my beloved ZX and need to get a new set of wheels to get me around for a(t least a) little while.

Found a nice looking 406 on auto trader for not a huge amount of money, is there anything typical I should be looking for?

I'm good with the good old XUD lump, so head gasket issues are the first of my worries. I'm more interested in rust/suspension troubles.

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Looking at a 406 TD

Post by spider »

Probably won't be much rust, usually that can be a sign of accident damage although they were not that old when I was near them.

Check all electrics work, engine electrics as well as the multiplugs around the battery area are not always brilliant.

Bosch pump on the 1.9 , semi electronic rarely gives any trouble though. Be aware inoperative tachometer as it may be more than just the TDC sensor at issue here.

Suspension is reasonably conventional, usual drop links and bushes concern.

Keep away from ex taxi's if possible too
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Post by spider »

Oh if its a keypad, the wiring can break due to the keypad being on a hinge. May want to unplug it in this case to avoid it as bound to break at an inconvenient moment.
Andy.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I replaced one of my XMs with a 406 Hdi and I think its a brilliant car - except for the ride, but you won't notice so much difference as your ZX had springs. The 1.9 is a little underpowered, the 2.1 is a better engine and the Hdi better still with 60+ mpg but all of them are nice to drive.

Peter
spider

Post by spider »

:oops: That's a point Peter, I sort of read the initial post as being for an elderly 1.9TD rather than anything else
Andy.

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Went to see it today, the nice looking 406 wasn't so nice in person.

The paint was faded and peeling off, many door seals had welded themselves to doors, the boot catch didn't work, both sills looked like orange peels, front brake discs very worn, 4 budget tyres, back box almost completely rotten through, AC very feeble/nearly flat, passenger electric window didn't work, trip computer didn't seem to do anything.
Under the bonnet the story got worse, the engine was filthy - all kinds of leaks from nearly everything that could leak: injectors, gaskets, oil seals etc. Radiator looked brand new which was nice, gave the top hose a squeeze to hear a whistling noise come from the expansion bottle cap - someone had taken the rubber seal off the cap, i.e. trying to hide the fact the coolant was overpressurising (the engine bay was particularly messy around the expansion bottle). Inside the bottle was some horrible rusty water that was without even the slightest hint of antifreeze.

Left it well alone, I'd have been very surprised if it made it back home without breaking down.

Ah well, keep looking I guess.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:I replaced one of my XMs with a 406 Hdi and I think its a brilliant car - except for the ride, but you won't notice so much difference as your ZX had springs. The 1.9 is a little underpowered, the 2.1 is a better engine and the Hdi better still with 60+ mpg but all of them are nice to drive.

Peter
I would quite agree, an absolutely brilliant car let down by inferior suspension. They, to my mind, drive like an old sofa.

Alex, if you've never driven a Xantia, which is fundamentally a 406 in disguise, you'll likely not notice the suspension shortcomings. That aside there's nothing whatsoever to dislike about a 406. I recommend highly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Indeed, with all the problems with the one I saw today it was a nice car on the inside, I would definitely own one. However I've now got my sights on an interesting looking Xantia exclusive for about the same price....

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chlorate wrote: interesting looking Xantia exclusive for about the same price....
Ahh, that's better...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...