spheres regassing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

spheres regassing

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
My Xantia's suspention has stiffened and I've been told that the spheres need represurising. What can I expect to pay for this sort of work and can someone pleaes recommend a good value place for that in the South East.
Many thanks
Grant

Post by Grant »

Heard on the forum a price of 12 pounds each but some people say it will only last 12-18 months. Id get new ones for 19 pounds each with 2 year garantee. going to do my rears soon, been told its easy enough.
Grant
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'd second that. Regassed spheres are of variable reliability and unknown life expectancy. Regassing was an option when they were only available from Citroen at £100 each but GSF have cracked that one.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sphere regassing where I am is the rule more than the exception and there are a few guidelines to follow.
If the suspension is flat; forget it. They either won't gas or they won't last if they do.
Compare prices quoted for regas against new. The reason we go more for the regas out here is the exhorbitant prices charged for new spheres. Your price:- 18 UKP Our price:- A$275 (app 100GBP) as a result the opportunists out here also go the big bite on regas in some instances with anything up to A$90 per sphere being charged to the unsuspecting. Providing the regasser knows his job, tests prior to regassing, fits new "O" rings etc, it can be done quite successfully with Pleiades out here giving 2 years warranty on regassed spheres. The difference between a regassed & a reconditioned sphere is that the reconditioned one has fresh paint on it.
Regassing takes very little time and almost no materials so is a great profit milking cow for those who choose to do that.
Personally, with the prices that GSF/Andys charge for new spheres, I don't know if over your way regassing would be worth the risk, particularly if someone wanted to charge you 3/4 the price of a new sphere & particularly if they didn't want to offer a warrany on the job.
Alan S