Xantia Suspension Behavour?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Karl

Xantia Suspension Behavour?

Post by Karl »

Is this normal? After a drive the front on my Xantia seems to drop alot more than the rear ( happens within a couple of hours). Upon starting up the front rises and the rear hardly raises before settling? This has come up because I`ve seen Xantias which park with a level front and back.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

karl -
It's an abnormal behaviour.
Does your Xantia also have fast ticking from the pump/regulator ?
Then try select the lowest height (engine idle - handbrake applied).
If the ticking now settles to near minutes intervals - then the front cylinders are leaking (worn). Can be ascertained by checking the flow from the front cylinder's return pipes (engine idle - normal height) - seen in the wheelarches. Only slow dripping is acceptable. Constant flow means worn out cylinders.
If the ticking does NOT noticeably slow down selecting lowest height - then it's most likely a flat accumulator sphere.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Coming from petrol cars I can`t from certain if I have fast ticking, but I don`t think so. I selecting the lowest setting and there was no noticable slow ticking. Can`t one tell but selecting the higest setting and switching it off and seeing how much it sinks over time?
How hard is it to fit new accumulator sphere?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Don`t think there is a leak cause I checked the slight glass and the floot is above the top line-this means its above the max...right? Just got the car so don`t know much about history.
Just seen the thread by T4Z1, my is a 1994 model, did these have anti sink spheres?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Karl -
When I mentioned leak from front cylinders - I meant INTERNAL leaks - you can NOT see it as something dripping down under the car [:I]
Such internal leaks are returned to the reservoir by the return hose - therefore the float on the reservoir will NOT sink.
That's also why I suggest to check the flow from the return hoses :
You actually have to unplug the hoses - and look at the return flow from the hose open end (lead it to any suitable container).
Donno if your '94 has the antisink or not.
If it stays up in height on rear - when parked for more than a day - it certainly has antisink.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Anders, this is my first Hydraulic suspension car so all the workings are new to me [:)]
At normal height the ticking intervals are about 5 secs, at max height the float doesn`t sink, sugesting I have a leak somewhere. Will try the return hose to confirm tommorow if I can work out which one it is, just found out Hayes manual isn`t very good on this subject.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">this is my first Hydraulic suspension car so all the workings are new to me :-) <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
- now that explains a lot [:)]
- and also means you may need extended help [8D]
Let's take it all from the beginning :
1) If you select the LOWEST setting on the suspension height control inside the car - then the automatic height correction valves (HC) simply closes off ALL the pressure going to the suspension. At the same time the suspension is allowed to sink down to it's lowest height.
This also means that any INTERNAL leaks in the suspension will stop - since no more pressure is feeded to the suspension.
2) If the frequent (7 seconds) ticking interval was exactly caused by internal suspension leaks - then this ticking MUST be slower now.
If it does NOT get a LOT slower - just go up to some 10-15 seconds ticking interval - this means that OTHER things are STILL causing this fast ticking interval. This would then MOST likely be the accumulator sphere that is flat. Cheapest option is to replace it.
3) On the other hand - if the ticking interval DOES get a LOT slower - up to some 40-100 seconds (even longer) - it MUST be the suspension that caused the fast ticking interval. Your accumulator sphere is then in good condition.
To make sure the front suspension cylinders are leaking INTERNALLY or not - then you MUST set the car to normal height (to have any pressure that can leak out). Then unplug the return hoses seen in the wheel arches - and lead the open ends to a container.
Check both sides front suspension cylinders this way.
If the LHM is flowing - even spraying - out from the return hoses - then you are SURE the front suspension cylinders are worn out.
You must then replace with either secondhand, reconditioned or new cylinders.
NOTE :
The accumulator sphere is the green ball mounted front/down on engine.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Anders, you`re a wealth of knowledge. I`ll let you know how I get on.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I have a 1993 with no anti-sink. Its easy to tell because there is no middle sphere at the rear only the two on the suspention. Also the rear will natualy drop within half hour or so when you turn off the engine. The front much slower. On start up mine rises at the front first and then the rear, which I have been told is normal for an none anti-sink model
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Hi!
My is anti-sink, but it sinks after 2-3 hours after engine off. I thought that it is OK, but now I see I was wrong(or not?)
What is normal behavour of such suspension?
Main sphere replaced before couple of month, front seems OK (4.5 cm under my 85 kg), rear spheres -"sick" (4 cm).
Is it way to check rear anti-sink valve?
there vas a leak from front anti-sink valve, O-ring replaced.
Thanks ahead.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Even after a week unused my car hardly drops at all so yours must definately have a problem if its down it 2-3 hours.
Have a look at the leakback returns from the cylinders, if there is nothing going on there your antisink valves must be kaput.
Dave
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

Even after a week unused my car hardly drops at all
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dave!
Does Your car rise a bit after long parking?
When I talk about sinking I mean it goes down, but not fully, maybe 2-3 cm. So it rise and red lights on clock are on for 10-15 seconds.[^]
Karl

Post by Karl »

Heres an update
Got the accumulator sphere replaced this week and all the problems I had have disappeared. Now...
1.My front doesn`t sink overnight
2.Ticking are in minute plus intervals(can hardly hear it)
3.I don`t have to wait 10 seconds for the stop light to go off before setting off.
So Thanks for everyones advice
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Mark,
Your rear sinking sounds like mine was. I replaced the accumulator and the front stopped sinking and the stops lights only stay on a few seconds if at all after starting the engine, The rear still dropped but not as bad as before. Today I replaced the rear anti-sink sphere ( LHM washes out of hair with plenty of shampoo [:D] ) and it seams fine now, I will see better in the morning when I use it next.
Neil
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Question to everyone
If regulator is not in best condition; is it possible that bad regulator (beside the fact it works) may influence on accumulator in that way that after couple of months after installing it, accumulator becomes flat or almost flat?
I'm not sure if my Xantia (& me) has problem with air in system or is it something else.