Crank up the boost 1.9TD ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark W
My Cars:

Crank up the boost 1.9TD ?

Post by Mark W »

How easy is this to do, does it remain invisible( thinking insurance complications) and does it make an appreciable difference to a heavy car like the Xantia 1.9TD.
Thanks
Mark W
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hi Mark,
I just had it done to my Xantia 1.9 Turbo D.
Allard Diesel Sport did it. The boost pressure was increased from 0.8 bar to 1.15 bar. Fuelling was then increased to match the increased airflow.
The increase was done by adjusting the waste gate spring tension on my KKK turbocharger. If you increase the boost, you also need to increase the fuelling otherwise you may be running with a lean mixture, which, I believe causes your engine to run hotter.
I once increased the waste gate spring tension on my old Audi 80 1.6 Turbo D with a Garret T2 turbo. It increased the boost pressure from 0.6 bar to 0.8 bar (I measured it) but I didn't adjust the fuelling. I think it ran lean, because the temperature gauge was always a lot higher after this tweak. In the summer, on a fast run, I had to open all the windows and turn the heater on just to keep the engine temp down.
So, boost increase alone is not good. Don't forget the fuelling.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The address for Allard is:-
http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thats a good deal cheaper than Van Aaken who are charging £150 more for doing basically the same thing!
I was also interested to see that Allard have produced a dump valve kit for the 1.7/1.9TD XUD engine, but do have to ask if this is really necessary.................
My ZX uses the Garret turbo at approx 1.0 bar, the fuelling has not been modified on the grounds that it has always overfuelled. Having said that the temp guage will move well over the 90 on high speed motorway runs, I keep an eagle eye on this. This particular car (which was always a quick one right from brand new) actually feels quicker than my previous ZX which had the Van Aaken Diesel Sport conversion.
But that might be just me.
BTW what BHP and torque figues do Allard claim for the 1.9TD?? The Van Aaken mod claims 110BHP and 188lb torque I believe.
Theres a web page on tuning the Bosch pump (can't remember the URL as its in my favourites on my Work PC and I'm at home right now) if I can find it I will post as its very good on the 3 main mods to the Bosch type pump to improve performance and lower smoke.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Allard claim that their tune-up will give 110 bhp and something like 177 lbft. Roughly 30 lbft addition.
I had a BX 1.9 Turbo D (K reg) for a while. That seemed very quick. It prompted me to get the Xantia. But the Xantia has never reproduced the performance of the BX. Even with this tune up I don't think it feels as fast as the BX.
I wouldn't mind getting another BX.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

problem with the Xantia is purely down to the weight, pretty much everything else is the same (running gear, drive shafts etc)
Allard are possibly not the best people to go to for just a tune up, but over all they are the BEST place to go for a faster diesel. There intercooler upgrade (front mounted and about 5 inch thick) will take a 1.9td from 92 bhp to 135bhp, without any tuning, just a straight intercooler swap!! Problem is its £350+
Of course it depends where abouts in the country you are
this guy
http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk
seems pretty good and comes well recomended. Probably has the best dump valves in the country!!
But then again DV's are simply all show, they dont change the power or speed of the enigine, just make stupid sounds when you change gear!
Whan you really want is a charge cooler! it 'chills' the air intake (think thats the baic idea) and will give stupid performance gains, but you wont find one for the shy side of £800 so deffinatley not worth the effort.
It is real easy to do,
http://www.shilakadaddy.com/
go to 306 then tuning then 306 td (its the same engine)
should giva n idea of how easy its is! Personally im wainting until i get the turbo rad in, the temp warning setup, twin fan with over ride switch and a few other bits before i start upping the fuel and boost
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

For everything you want to know about the technicalities of tuning TD engines have a read a at this:
http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/
It's based on VAG TDi engines, but the principles are the same.
Richard
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

You can't, in effect, run a diesel engine 'lean'. Fuelling and turbo boost are not indepandant in a diesel engine, you cannot adjust the wastegate and expect to see more boost. (You can to a certain extent, but that is because these engines run slightly on the rich side anyway.) Fuelling adjustments must be made alongside boost adjustments to correctly 'tune' a diesel engine for optimum performance.
Therefore, just adjusting the boost will not make the car run hotter, extra fuel causes extra heat!!
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks for your reply Rossd. I have found it difficult to find anyone to discuss my interest of diesel performance with. Most of my theories i have kind of worked out myself after reading various articles.
So, what would have caused my engine to run so hot ? Would it have been just the increased fuel burn. Or, would it be the increased temp of the air charge ?
My Xantia doesn't run hotter now its been tweaked. Is it because the right fuel mixture has been achieved ?
Cheers, Kev
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Jon, did you have chance to find that URL for tuning a Bosch pump.
It would be of great interest.
Cheers, Kev
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Kev try this one;
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.waters1/306_tuning.htm
its not the greatest step by step sort of thing, but it does tell you how to do it!!
I agree though, it is hard to find people that are into diesel tuning. Thats why i started hanging in the PGAC diesel forum (requires membership), there are a lot of people doing it in the Pug world though!!
If you wanna talk diesel drop me a mail!! Im currently looking for a 2.8HDi to stick in a BX :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its worth having a search of range rovers, land rovers and discoveries for pump tuning information. Come to think of it there was a link from this board that referred to some good information. I thought I kept the link but can't find it at the moment.
jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Search under discovery produces some interesting results - try this for starters.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... =discovery
Jeremy
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Vanny and Jeremy, I'll check these links.
Cheers, Kev
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Jeremy, Great link. Here is the Bosch pump site again ... http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm
I've tried most of the things suggested when I had an Audi 80 1.6 TurboD. i.e. I took the cap off and adjusted the angle of the diaphragm/eccentric cone. I moved the star wheel to reduce spring tension. I also shortened the arm on the waste gate to increase boost pressure.
The problem is that you can't tell how close you are to optimum settings unless you've got some kind of feedback from instruments. Like smoke emmission equipment or a rolling road. I played around a lot on my Audi and got it running really well. Although it always seemed to run too hot !
Cheers, Kev