Poor running on 2.2 C5 when down to a quarter tank of Fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dawsy 22
My Cars:

Poor running on 2.2 C5 when down to a quarter tank of Fuel

Post by dawsy 22 »

Hi i am new to this forum but have fixed my c5 overboost problem using info from this site ,having just fitted a new EGR diaphragm the car still does not run quite as it should ,since doing the repair the car seems a little flat low down in the rev range and when the turbo kicks in i get a lot of air noise as if one or more of the rubber turbo pipes is loose i have checked these and all seem OK any suggestions please,also when the fuel gauge reads a quarter tank i have problems starting the car and keeping it running it just cuts out and after a couple of minutes will restart ,fill the tank up and she runs fine ,I suspect fuel filter or filters but as my haynes manual does not cover the 2.2 i am not to sure where to look and how to remove old filter .i think there is one under the bonnet where there seems to be a collection of fuel pipes meeting up ,any help would be appreciated
Thanks Ian
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: Poor running on 2.2 C5 when down to a quarter tank of Fu

Post by SaabC5 »

Fuel filter is on the front of the engine in easy reach (for a change). Its just a case of taking off the connectors on top, unscrewing the lid and swapping the filter insert & O ring. No squeezy bulb on the 2.2 to prime the system, just turn the ignition key for slightly longer than normal to get the pressure up.

As for the air noise on acceleration check the bottom hose/jubilee clip on the intercooler, its a common place for air leaks.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Thanks for that SaabC5 I thought that it was there just needed confirmation
Thanks Ian
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Also i have read on here that the egr diaphragm should close the butterfly on tick over on mine it is open until the engine reaches about 1,500rpm. Any clarification please
Thanks Ian
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Another one i can answer, check the actuator rod on the right hand side of the engine is connected and working, its a common failure after 80-100k miles. I had to replace mine when i bought the car, see the thread link below.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 73#p287273
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Cheers Saab C5 that is the part i have just changed(Pig of a job)the main problem was a split rubber hose but i had bought the part and as i have read on here they fail eventually i just changed it.but should the butterfly be shut on tick over or does it close just above .I may still have an vacuum leak but this morning i removed the pushrod and tied the butterfly shut but performance was no better, the car is a 2001 and has covered 101,000 miles 20,000 of which it has had the esp asr fault but since changing the above part no limp mode has been activated just the rushing air sound and no bottom end power
Thanks Ian
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Should be shut on tickover only operating on 12 valves apparently, should open over 2100rpm when you give it the beans. Just need somebody to press the gas pedal while you observe the arm.

Re the ESP fault (seems you are having all the same faults i had to sort out), mine was just a case of doing the track rod ends. Mine was too long on one side and too short on the other causing the front wheels to crab, a friend did a 15 minute alignment and the ESP fault went away never to return. I was very dubious about it being the problem but he said its very common on PSA group cars and it sorted mine. :roll:

Andy
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Cheers Andy mine is open on tick over as i said and sort of snaps shut as you increase RPM and reopens after 2000 rpm so i can only assume I have a further vacuum leak from another source.back to the drawing board it is then Ian
Thanks Ian