Just bought 2004 C3

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stockdale
New User

Just bought 2004 C3

Post by Stockdale »

But before anything else, Hi there, new here, thanks for allowing me to post :)

I've trolled through 400 pages of this forum, checking for C3 posts and just like i've told by a few keepers of C3's around the doors, they do seem to be pretty reliable
apart from the odd lemon here and there, which sadly these days is the norm for any make of car/bike/van or truck

Bought a 54 plate C3 1.4 Hdi 8v for my daughter, she failed her test last week and didn't take it too well so I got it early for her (optomist).

The car has 72k miles on it it's as clean as a whistle inside and out, but i have 1 or 2 things I would like to know regarding 'is this normal?'

When it starts, it's instant with a tiny touch of the key, but for a split second, I swear it sounds like an old 4D, like a very brief thud from under the bonnet.
When the engine is overly taxed is has a low tone kind of hollow rattle, I think i have this one down to the heat shield surrounding the turbo/cat as it's movable by
hand from underneath on all 3 axis question is, am I right ? and if so, how can i tighten that little bugger up so there is no play

Now down to the 2 i could do with most feedback on, mid rev-range under a little bit of load, it has a little rattle I would say more a tink than a plink, the cars
1st service according to the service history was at 24k, but since has been serviced at yearly intervals around 6 to 8k between services, are these little engines
prone to rattling cam followers and if so, would you say a shot of Wynn's Hydraulic Valve Lifter cleaner stuff be a good way forward and while at it a shot of similar
stuff to clean the fuel injector system Wynn's Injector Cleaner For Diesel Engines, or has it been known to do more harm than good ?

The last thing, is the throw on the gear lever..for such a short gearstick it has a mighty 6,7 or maybe 8 inches of travel from like 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th and about 5
inches in neutral from side to side. normal for these ? or do I have worn couplings somewhere ?

well . what an epic 1st post, I'de love some feedback on this if you haven't nodded off :lol:

Thanks, Paul