306 Aux belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sorede66

306 Aux belt

Post by sorede66 »

hi,
306 2001 DW8 a/c + PS
have just fitted a cam belt, though have not started the engine yet !!
mainly due to problem fitting the new Aux belt.
when i released the eccentric tensioner it appeared to release a hell a lot of tension, more than i would have anticipated, didn't think much about it until i came to refit the new belt,
even with the eccentric tensioner pulley in the smallest position the belt will not go on, despite all efforts, 2 days now !!!
checked out the Dynamic tensioner roller just above the eccentric tensioner, but cant see if it is adjustable or not, question, is this roller fixed, or does it link to the large spring that attaches to the power steering pump ? and do i have to turn something to move the Dynamic tensioner roller.
am at a complete loss ????
thanks in advance
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: 306 Aux belt

Post by Lighty »

Most DW 8 engines have an spring tensioned upper pulley, it is the one that is most visible when looking down from the top. The pulley wheel itself is black plastic.
These are very difficult to get back tensioned if let off.
My method for belt change is to put a large flat bar through the belt and against the sump, lever the belt down, this pulls really hard on the tensioner, and you can pin it up into the fully back position.This is how a new tensioner arrives when you buy one.
Assuming you have already not done this, you are going to struggle , as if you put a spanner on the pulley bolt, it will likely undo, and if you lever it with a bar, the pulley will crack.
Personally I would remove the whole assembly, to do this you will need to drop the engine off its mounting, this will make it all more visible under the wheel arch, one large allen key holds the assembly to the engine, once it is removed you can try and set the tension in a vice.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
sorede66

Post by sorede66 »

ok, thanks for that, is it the large spring that's attached to the PS pump that has to be tensioned ?
and so applying pressure to the belt will move the black pulley wheel you indicated and tension that spring ?
i will have a look in the morning, and try the lever method first.
sorede66

Post by sorede66 »

finally managed to get the belt on without dropping the engine !!
what i did was change the securing bolt on the ,spring tensioned upper pulley from the Torx bolt to a normal hex bolt, this allows the spring to be compressed using a spanner
partially fitted the belt, setting eccentric roller to off position, then using a 17mm spanner on the modified tensioned upper pulley bolt, turned it clockwise the compress the spring, slipping the belt onto the crankshaft pulley, phew !!!