xsara non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bloodycitroen
My Cars:

xsara non starter

Post by bloodycitroen »

hi all :)

just replaced the lucas pump on my 99 1.9td xsara sx, now when i turn the ignition on the immobiliser light flashes and there is a beeping sound ! is there a transponder thingy or some thing ?

also, if i remove the stop solenoid and put 12v to it nothing happens, is this correct ? does the stop solenoid only operate when cranking the engine ? my stop solenoid has a black plug and three wires ? thought they had one wire ?

or are the two connected ?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: xsara non starter

Post by spider »

The new pump will need coding.

What you describe by the three / four wires is the modules power supply (square black plug?) You won't hear the solenoid as its under the cover, it won't operate unless it receives a signal on one of the other wires, there's no direct feed to the solenoid the three wires go into the module, the module powers the solenoid as appropriate.

The module is the "other end" of the transponder around the ignition barrel.

You could have the replacement pump coded or remove the armour (pump out for this) and then you will be able to get to the solenoid, solenoids only have one wire.

One alternative that might work if you can get the chip from the key the car the pump came from (too many "the's" I think!) then it may well work as-is. Personally I'd de-armour it and not have to worry about keys coding again. You'd need to inform insurance about this though I'd expect.

EDIT... Welcome. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote:0

One alternative that might work if you can get the chip from the key the car the pump came from (too many "the's" I think!) then it may well work as-is. Personally I'd de-armour it and not have to worry about keys coding again. You'd need to inform insurance about this though I'd expect.
To to this you would also need the CPH unit from the same car aswell (or the BSI if it's a multiplexed model) as they are all matched.
spider

Post by spider »

Good point, although not plexed at 99, then again if the pump was from a plexed one it adds even more "fun" to the mix. I'd have the armour in the bin and be done with it, incidentally I don't appear to have a CPH on the 106 unless its buried somewhere.
Andy.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 106 doesent have a CPH like a xsara, its just an imobiliser control unit (black box with an 18 pin connector) located next to the steering column it's still matched to the key though.
bloodycitroen
My Cars:

Post by bloodycitroen »

right removed the Armour, fitted single wire cut off switch etc, what i have now is the immobiliser light flasing, a constant high pitched tone and engine turning, i know theres is a way get round this ! i've read it somewhere on the web while searching for answers but can't find it now....
spider

Post by spider »

Temporarily connect a (fused! ideally) piece of wire from a permanent or ignition live (the reverse light switch is a good place if in doubt in the engine bay) to the single pin on the solenoid, ensure nothing else is connected to the solenoid wire.

It should then run.
Andy.

bloodycitroen
My Cars:

Post by bloodycitroen »

done that spider, just not happening !
spider

Post by spider »

It should run. Is there a click when you connect the power to the solenoid ?

If you wanted to try something else (ensure its spotless around the solenoid)

Then remove it (caution: if you need to take the bracket bolts out of the head end, leave at least two diagonally opposite ones present at all times) and all four present / tightened before trying to start it, prevents the risk of breaking the shaft internally.

Once the solenoid is out, remove the spring / plunger / pin assembly and refit it empty. Now the engine should run, regardless. This will also eliminate the chance of the solenoid being faulty although usually they like to stick open I find.

Are you sure the pump timing (basic timing) is correct, ie the pin will fit when the flywheel / cam pins do ? , I'm starting to wonder if the pump is a few teeth out.
Andy.

bloodycitroen
My Cars:

Post by bloodycitroen »

just rechecked timing.....spot on ! really at a loss now
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's prematurely dropping into economy mode (which can be tested by trying to recode a key after the aerial is confirmed good) then a shortcoming exists in either the PSF or BSI. Former is easier to do a swap test on, as it's uncoded. Be sure to borrow one from a basically identical spec car.
spider

Post by spider »

Are you sure that will be relevant ? :)

I'm just thinking here if he's got a 12v feed to the solenoid, nothing else is relevant. I know if its an electronic advance pump that may not work but I'd expect it to run, even if it ran fully advanced.

Slightly confused now... :oops:
Andy.

bloodycitroen
My Cars:

Post by bloodycitroen »

Slightly confused now...

me too
bloodycitroen
My Cars:

Post by bloodycitroen »

sorted now.......two air leaks on fuel filter housing !
spider

Post by spider »

bloodycitroen wrote:sorted now.......two air leaks on fuel filter housing !
:D That's good news.
Andy.