Berlingo stop solenoid repeatedly fails

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete2012

Berlingo stop solenoid repeatedly fails

Post by pete2012 »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and not exactly mechanically gifted, though I have come to know more and more about stop solenoids in recent months.

I have a 2002 Berlingo 1.9D Multispace with a Delphi fuel pump (replaced only last year). What has happened is that fuel oozes and eventually squirts out of the top of the stop solenoid. This has now happened five times, with new stop solenoids being fitted on each occasion. On three of these times, the blue plastic around the top appeared to have been forced up and out of the metal casing. On two of these occasions, the 15A fuse for the fuel pump has also blown. On one occasion, there was no fuel leak but the plunger mechanism had failed meaning the fuel was immediately cut off.
The various RAC mechanics who have attended the breakdowns have all expressed surprise, and said they have never seen this before. As have my own garage, and the suppliers of the new solenoids.
Those involved have suggested different causes:
- Too high fuel pressure causing the plastic topping to be forced out. In favour of this, is that I use a large proportion of (properly sourced) bio diesel in my car, and some have said this could be the cause. However, several of those involved have said either there is no real pressure at this part of the pump, or that the fuel itself does not have any contact with the plastic topping and could not push it out;
- an electrical fault on the feed from the battery. Perhaps a stray current is melting the plastic? (there's no shortage of warning buttons not working correctly on the dash, including the handbrake light, door open warning, and even the battery warning light on occasion). However, others have said this is very unlikely as the battery only delivers 12V.
- a bad batch of stop solenoids, try a different supplier

Its extremely frustrating and about to get costly as I shall soon be at the limit for RAC callouts in one year let alone the limits of my patience.
Don't want to let go of the car. We bought it for £1600 in Nov 2010 - since then we've spent over £2k including new gearbox, clutch, alternator, fuel pump, exhaust and plenty more minor issues. We don't have money for a new car.

Everyone says this is such a simple part, it shouldn't be hard to solve. Any suggestions greatly appreciated (probably to pass on to my garage).

Cheers,
Pete
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Berlingo stop solenoid repeatedly fails

Post by spider »

That does sound very odd. The standard solenoid on these is not a normal one under the armour cover, tis a tube thing (sorry for the description!) as the electronics are inside it. It is possible to obtain a normal one with a bit of trouble and it seems you have done so.

However the pressure being cut off by the solenoid should not be very high, as far as I understand it its only the low pressure suction pressure not anything more as if it was high pressure the solenoid would not last a moment.

It could well be the solenoid itself, I'd have to suggest a different brand completely to be honest. It is actually coming out the electrical connection ? , that would indicate its internal seal around the electromagnet has failed which is not that common either, more likely the outer one where its screwed in fails.

Will watch this topic with interest as there's a few more people on here who could give further insight.

99% of DW8's are Lucas pumped, a few Bosch ones are around but not that many as far as I'm aware.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
pete2012

Post by pete2012 »

It is very odd, that's the one thing everyone can agree on. The immobiliser was removed a while back to get around a broken ignition key costly repair. The armour on the top of the was cut away to facilitate it. The leak is from the electrical connection itself if it goes slowly and , but several times the whole plastic surrounding the connection had been apparently forced up
. Next step is to try a different brand solenoid
Bick

Post by Bick »

internal pump problem leaking high pressure fuel into low pressure side?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Bick wrote:internal pump problem leaking high pressure fuel into low pressure side?
That would be my next thought, although I do not recall of hearing that ever happen...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Bick

Post by Bick »

spider wrote:
Bick wrote:internal pump problem leaking high pressure fuel into low pressure side?
That would be my next thought, although I do not recall of hearing that ever happen...

cant say i have but then a quick call to local pump repair centure would be my next move
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I suspect that your 'properly sourced bio-diesel' is the cause - pure bio-diesel is fairly aggressive stuff where seals and other 'rubber' components are concerned. Some fuel systems can't cope with a higher proportion than the 5% B5 mandatory on much of the continent. Some of the seals in most common- and single-rail diesel fuel systems fail quite quickly if exposed to 100% bio-diesel. Even if you're using a B20 or B30 blend, it is quite likely that these particular stop-solenoids aren't suitable.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
pete2012

Post by pete2012 »

Trying a different brand of solenoid. Will let you know how it goes. One step at a time...