Got the dreaded anti pollution fuel additive warning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

Got the dreaded anti pollution fuel additive warning

Post by Lynnzer »

C5 Exclusive tourer 2.2 2008 new model.
Car had started showing anti pollution fault warning around a month ago maybe a git more, then last week it came to a stop in the middle of Newcastle with the wife at the wheel.
Short stop seemed to reset everything and it driven OK since then.
Tonight I've got the warning of low anti pollution fuel additive.
This is a real pain as the car was only in for a service on Monday.
It appears from other posts that the Eolys oil needs replenishing and at some considerable cost at that....
I haven't found any way to DIY this though.
Surely there must be a way, or at least for an independent garage to do the job. Is this oil generally available from sources other than main dealers and which oil is it anyway since the type depends on the model and year of manufacture of the car?
Supposing it can topped up by DIY or an indie garage would the car still need a reset to eliminate the warning message.
Does the particulate filter need replacing or is it a good blow out with a high pressure hose?
I guess you can see where I'm coming from on this. I just don't want to spend a few hundred quid to do something that should be a lot less cost in the first place.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Got the dreaded anti pollution fuel additive warning

Post by Peter.N. »

Its not difficult to replenish the reservoir on the Mk1, I did mine but the later cars seem different. I got my Eolys from ebay - which is where I buy most things. :-D

Peter
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Mine will be due soon as now on 86k.

How easy is it to fill up, can a diagnostic kit like launch reset the level in the ecu?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Peter.N. wrote:Its not difficult to replenish the reservoir on the Mk1, I did mine but the later cars seem different. I got my Eolys from ebay - which is where I buy most things. :-D

Peter
How about a system reset on the computer? Did you need to do that?
Where abouts is the tank for the oil too?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Very easy to actually fill the tank, but you really need the filling kit that you get with the origional fluid.
You can buy PAT fluid from GSF and Eurocarparts.
problem is reseting the counters, but anyone with Lexia can do it, not sure that Launch can do the job.
I have a Technomotor diagnostic, this can do the job as well.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Can get fluid from dealer so you get the filling kit as well.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

When last I looked Eolys was only manufactured by one company which gives them the ability to extort to the max and they do.
Re-filling should not be a big deal it will mean removing the cover to gain acess to the tank and pipe work, you then break down one of the pipes and connect a pipe from the bottle to it then hold the bottle higher than the tank, re-make pipe work at th end of the exercise. I know this sounds vague but have never worked on a S3 car and have no data. Sure if you sign upto http://service.citroen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a trade user you will be able to find the info will cost you 4 Euro's an hour but worth it, you can download a lot of info in an hour.

Cost put it into perspective it won't need doing for another 75000 miles. I assume you have a high mileage version because if all is working correctly and you are getting a blocked filter message then you must be at round about 100K miles Cit quote 110K miles for filter change.
Removing the filter and back flushing with a pressure hose has been reported to give good results IF it's not choked with carbon in which case the carbon will need to be burnt of using an oxy acetylene torch and then back-washed. If you have driven the car for any length of time after the low additive warning has come up then it is quite possible that the filter has coked up prematurely, no additive=quickly choked filter.

Oh almost forgot there are a couple of counters which will need to be reset in the additive ECU for which you will need a Lexia

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

I called Citroen this morning. They told me that the oil comes prepacked in a container that has to be fitted as a whole and not in separate litre containers.
They say they can't just top additive to the existing tank.
Quoted me £295 for the refill and a blow out of the filter though they really don't seem to know much about the process.

I have a nephew who runs a repair business and he's done Peugot 309's and that he can do the job. I didn't think of him for this at first so I'm glad it came to my mind after calling Citroen. He says 2 litres at £28 per litre would be enough and that he would do a good high pressure blow through of the filter so all in all he's talking of around £110.
He can do the reset with the equipment he has so I'm giving him it to do on Friday.

For those searching for the cure to this expensive service item can I just add that the car has 105,000 miles showing. The first anti pollution fault indication came on around 3 months ago and it started to show the low additive warning last week at the 105,000 mark
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Lynnzer wrote:I called Citroën this morning. They told me that the oil comes prepacked in a container that has to be fitted as a whole and not in separate litre containers.
They say they can't just top additive to the existing tank.
Quoted me £295 for the refill and a blow out of the filter though they really don't seem to know much about the process.

I have a nephew who runs a repair business and he's done Peugot 309's and that he can do the job. I didn't think of him for this at first so I'm glad it came to my mind after calling Citroen. He says 2 litres at £28 per litre would be enough and that he would do a good high pressure blow through of the filter so all in all he's talking of around £110.
He can do the reset with the equipment he has so I'm giving him it to do on Friday.

For those searching for the cure to this expensive service item can I just add that the car has 105,000 miles showing. The first anti pollution fault indication came on around 3 months ago and it started to show the low additive warning last week at the 105,000 mark
I would be surprised if two litres was enough to fill the tank,it's a 4. ltr something a fill as I recall, if you half fill you will only get half the mileage. mind that'l take the car to 150K so you might be looking at getting rid of it at that mileage anyway. But do you really consider a cost of some £295 expensive, that works out some 0.003 p per mile hardly a fortune.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

OK guys'gals.
Had it done.
Remember this mechanic is my nephew but I didn't ask for preferential rates or got them so what he charged me is indicative of the cost to anyone else.
First the oil. It cost £57 for 2 litres which he got from Eurocarparts. This is the dealer price and not one inflated by a garage.
As I've done 105,000 on the 4 litres which was in when the car was bought new and this lasted 4 years then 2 litres will do me another 2 years if I keep the car that long.
The top up is dead easy. The tank is situated on the nearside rear, just to the offside of the exhaust pipe. You get to it by removing the bottom underbody covers. Only a couple of screws or clips to do this.
The tank is sort of horse shoe shape and has a pipe at the back and a couple of connections at the front to other pipes/wires.
Just screw off the rear pipe and top up directly into the tank then screw the pipe back on. All of 15 minutes work, even if you take time out for a cuppa.
The connector for attaching the diagnostic reset equipment is under the rubber flap thingy in the central cubby hole where the cup holder is under the central armrest.
A quick reset of the code and you're back on the road within 20 minutes from arrival at the garage.
The diagnostic machine used was a Solus Plus which was a in a Snap In Tools box.

Just speaking with the Citroen dealer didn't give me any feeling that they knew what they were doing and the mere mention of having to replace the complete tank instead of topping up seems little more than a scam.
It would be akin to having to replace the sump every time you did an oil change. Bloody ridiculous.
So for those who also Google "Anti Pollution oil" warning just like me, and who find this post, this really is a DIY project if you can get a counter reset or at the very worst a hundred quid should fix it for you.
For those who are within striking distance and wish to have the job carried out for them at my nephews garage just call him on 07413591062. His name is Paul Fenwick.
Tell him Lynn sent you.
He's at a garage on Armstrong Road, Peterlee, North East Industrial Estate. SR8 5AJ
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Added as a byword.
I didn't have the filter blown out as time wasn't on my side so will keep an eye out for problems with this. Even so it wouldn't have knocked up the price substantially.
I did see that the diagnostic equipment gave an option for doing a filter clean either in road driving or stationary mode. As I didn't get it done I don't know exactly what it entails but I can take a guess that it gives the filer a very hot charge to burn off the accumulations since it warned that in the stationary mode it would have to be done in a really well ventilated area as it applied considerable heat to the filter and produced particularly noxious fumes.
So, to my mind the actual removal of the filter to clean it out is also really not needed as it self cleans with the diagnostic equipment. I'll look into this further.
For now though, I'll do without and only do it if I get another warning.
Last edited by Lynnzer on 10 Aug 2012, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good outcome

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like its the same system as the Mk1 uses then.

Peter
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Quite possibly although the tank and the diagnostic connection will be in a different place. I suspect that even the Peugot range and perhaps other car models will be pretty similar.
The Solus actually says where the diagnostic connector is on almost every model car. On the Mark 1 its behind the glove box apparently.
Whatever, the job isn't complicated necessarily and like I said, if you want it done at a reasonable cost just give Paul a call.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Lynnzer wrote:OK guys'gals.
Had it done.
---------------------------------big snip.------------------------------------
So, to my mind the actual removal of the filter to clean it out is also really not needed as it self cleans with the diagnostic equipment. I'll look into this further.
For now though, I'll do without and only do it if I get another warning.

Not really, mini tutorial follows :-)
Carbon produced by normal diesel burns normaly at about 550C carbon produced using eolys treated diesel burns at about 450C. Every so often the regen system kicks in which raises the exhaust temp to 450 ish thus burning off the carbon.
Some driving patterns mean that the normal regen action may not happen so the exhaust starts to clog with unburnt (treated ) carbon.
This is where the Diagnostic Tool / Lexia comes in, it has the ability to force the engine to run an extended regen cycle which will burn off all the EOLYS treated carbon. Now the implication of all that have read on the subject is that the forced regen only gets to about 500 C max which will burn off treated carbon but will not burn off untreated carbon, so if this is correct and you have a filter full of untreated carbon the only way you will ever clean it, is by burning it out with oxy propane or similar.
If the fuel has always been treated and driving patterns are such that normal regen happens then in theory you will never have a substantial carbon build up BUT the active component of Eolys i.e. cerin will remain in the filter as will other combustion by products principally oil ash and it is this which will choke the filter in a 100K or so and require washing out.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Peter.N. wrote:Sounds like its the same system as the Mk1 uses then.

Peter
Only superficially. The basic layout is very similar but all the individual components are different. The filter construction is different and I would be inclined to think the later one produces less back pressure, the Eolys pump and metering jets are different as is the Eolys fluid and the ECU is a different animal, think the piping is identical as is the means of filling going by the description.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC