ZX problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

ZX problems

Post by mrbump »

Hi all,
I have just bought a K reg Volcane TD in good nick save for a few electrical problems. I am hoping that they are common ones!!!
First problem is that the rev counter has ceased to work - simple enough, but all fuses seem to be Ok (am I checking the correct ones?) and the only other thing I can think of is that the circuit behind the instrument panel has perished.
Second problem is less simple. The main lights (both dip and full beam) seem to be tempremental. When the car goes over bumps they flicker on and off.
Third problem is that when I use the front windscreen washers, the offside indicators (front, wing and rear) light up very slightly. Also, when I actuate the control for the rear washer, the indicators on the offside will light up fully, and the front wiper starts going as well!!!![:0][?]
I had thought that the cause of these problems may be connected to a bad chassis earth somewhere, but I dont know where to start looking.
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers[:)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The rev counter usually packs up because of some component going down on a small circuit board screwed to the back of the tacho unit, this is easey to swap and is interchangeable with the later models, the boards on them being much more modern looking from a component standpoint.
Bad connections are another possibility, the pickup is another though very unlikely, if you have the book of tales you should be able to locate the pick up cable positions in the multiplug connectors going to the instrument panel, but note that the positions have changed from the old models to the later ones, when you locate the cables you can test them for bad connections with a meter, one probe at the panel end and the other at the sensor connector end, which is brown and located below and right of the fuel filter area.
The headlights problem could be the relay, this is high up and screwed to the right hand side of the car behind the dash, feel the relays while operating the dip/main beam to locate it.
More than likely the lucar conectors are loose, this is a known problem on the ZX and if left unchecked the thing simply melts leaving you with no lights at all, also check the earth points concerning the headlamps them selves.
As for the wiper/flasher problem it sounds like an earth fault, you will have to refer to the book to find it or just go hunting for it, find a bunch of earth cables in the area and follow them back as a starting point.
Dave