Just what is a 'panoramic roof'?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Just what is a 'panoramic roof'?

Post by Napoleon »

I have never seen one in person. Does it allow you to close the glass off if you don't want the sun shining in? Does the inner roof lining sort of fold back or something?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Just what is a 'panoramic roof'?

Post by Xaccers »

Yes. Imagine the roof is glass, with a roller blind to keep the sun out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

So, this roof, made of glass - does it colour co-ordinate with the surrounding metal shell? Or is it some kind of dark glass and if you have a grey car then the glass roof stands out?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Some pictures here Tim.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I have one on my C5 III tourer. Got it second hand, didn't particularly seek it out but now I have run it for 10 months I would, if daft enough to order a brand new car for £30k, have the sunroof.

It is heavily grey tinted, looks almost black from most angles, and on the outside runs right up to the top of the windscreen. My (VTR+) also had 'gangsta glass' behind the B pillar, so it all looks similar. Mine is silver metallic, but it would look fine on anything from white through grey and black, probably OK on other colours but I don't recall seeing any.

The interior blind is a 4 or 5 part semi rigid cover that slides and roills away electrically. You lose a bit of height in the loadspce but its not been an issue. The rear reading lights move ot the side and are slightly less good than the tin roof version.

There are no issues with too much heat, it must be clever glass, or with wind noise. The hard glass underside reflects a bit more road noise inside the cabin. The rear seat passengers get a skywards view, the driver is too far forward to enjoy it unless suicidally inclined to lean back and peer up whilst driving. It gives the whole interior a nice light feel, especially cheering in dull winter days. The teenage passengers find it good as they can easily read in the back seat. Exciting in dramatic weather, snow, hail, and nice views for passengers in the mountains.

I have it 'open' almost all the time. The only times it gets closed is:

Very long motorway trips when 4 or 5 of you want a conversation, the blind does make it marginally quieter inside
When people in the back want to sleep
The very odd occasion when low sun from behind reflects off the nav screen
Very cold mornings with frost on the roof, the passenger compartment warms up quicker with the blind over. I always open it after a few minutes

I had a Xsara Picasso with full size sunroof, the front half of that actually opened, and still have a Synergie wich has the best of all worlds, small front 'pop up' and big back sliding sunroof. The fixed panoramic C5 one is queter and cooler than either of them, and with air con you don't really need to be able to open it for ventilation.

I would imagine it is perfect for young lovers who might enjoy looking at the moon and stars in those romantic post-coital moments in rural lay-bys, but I'm much too old and inflexible for that sort of thing.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini