oilchange automatic gearbox 407

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nicko

oilchange automatic gearbox 407

Post by Nicko »

as subject says, how do i change oil in the gearbox? i can see a plu to empty it but how to fill and how much? i have demounted the airfilter box to see more of the gearbox but cant find anything anyway? is it a fillingpipe in the same plug where i drain it?? as i dont know where to fill it i dont dare to release the bottomplug :)

Thankful for answer
Nicko
Nicko

Re: oilchange automatic gearbox 407

Post by Nicko »

oh forgot the write 407 2004 automatic 4speed petrol
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The drain plug is the larger of the "plug inside a plug" underneath.

The filler if I'm not mistaken is around / under the selector lever assembly on top, there's a torx bolt near the front as well though, don't take that one out as it holds the shaft in. As far as I remember the correct filler plug is under the selector lever area , may have to remove cable assembly for access.

You need the correct oil for these not general ATF too.

I don't have any specific information on them, a bit too new for my (old) data unfortunately, however I'm sure someone else will be along to this topic to furnish you with more information so I'd hold on a little bit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Now have taken away the airfilter box again can see the 2torx bolts holding the leveler and even some kind of filter/cleanaer thing on top with hose in it and insex bolts holding it in place. but still no filler plug...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

An oil change on these auto boxes is never mentioned in Peugeot servicing,I think they say never change it ?
spider

Post by spider »

It will have the usual wear indicator, as is normal for a box without a dipstick fitted. Its a case of "sealed for life" again but on my own (and on auto's I've had before) I'd want to be changing it now and again, say once every two years (if expensive fluid such as this) or every year if cheaper fluid.
Andy.

Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Due to that i´m not that satisfied of how it behaves i want to do a oilchange and see if it will change how it shifting gears..... if i pull the shifter to use it"manually" it behaves quite normally, and i recentlty tried and drive it in sport and i´m not that satisfied with that either...

If i drive around 60-80 mk/h and laying about 1800-2000 rpm it kind of feels like it will shift but it´s not. The rpm meter pendling around 200rpm´s and the car has some vibrations and it kind of feels like it´t on its way to go to lower gear but stays on the higher one, hard to discribe but thas hows it feels in a way......
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

The reason for not recommending oil changes is to avoid any chance of contamination,a tiny bit of dirt could cause problems.A lot of auto boxes really are sealed for life.Why not find your self a good Pug Tech and find out if the box ECU needs a systems download or what ever.
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Working on that aswell BUT personally i dont think there can be fluids/oils that lasts forever.... they kind of must be worn or old in some way?
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Actually, modern ATF really does last 'forever', or forever in human/engine terms anyways.

Oil does not get 'worn out' as such. It becomes dirty, that's all.

The reason you change oil in engines is because it picks up soot and becomes acidic and stuff from various processes in the engine. At the oil recycling plant all they do is filter it and do various processes to remove harmful chemicals, and this oil is used as a base for other oil. So the chances are the oil you are driving around with now could be thousands of oil changes old.

Manual transmission oil needs to be replaced because transmissions usually do not have an oil filter, and the minute quantity of small metal particles that appear from normal wear of parts just slosh around in the bottom. Way over 99% of contaminants in an engine is soot from combustion, in a transmission there is no soot, and therefore despite the fact that there is no filter, transmission oil can last for years until it needs to be replaced.

Automatic transmissions are a special case tho.

They have no sources of soot, BUT unlike manual transmissions, have a filter. So the very minute quantity of contaminants that is generated from internal parts wearing out is filtered. Older auto boxes do need oil/filter changes occasionally, but we are talking about 40 year old transmission here.

More modern style transmissions have these advantages:
-Their components are much better made (remember transmissions made before say the 1980s/1990s are mostly VERY crude compared to their younger cousins) so therefore produce much less particles in wear from normal use.
-They have a BIG filter inside, since they are designed to be sealed-for-life, the filter is expected to capture ALL contaminants expected to be generated for the transmission's useful life.
-Seals are much more effective, so they don't leak.
-Transmission fluid is much better then it was even in the 1980s. MUCH better.

Because of this, and coupled with the risk of introducing dirt into the transmission (remember, ONE sand-grain spec of dirt can ruin some transmission components), it is actually counterproductive to replace the ATF in one of those, UNLESS either it leaked out and the leak was fixed, or it was drained for some repair work.

Also think about this. The filter captures all the crap in the fluid. So if you change the fluid, nothing will happen, the dirt will still be there, in the filter. And on most modern sealed-for-life transmissions, the filter is not easy to access from the outside, not like on the old slushboxes where you just remove the oilpan and the filter is right there.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Different manufacturers have different ideas.I`m a Peugeot man and they say don`t change the oil and I agree,to avoid contamination.My road car is a Mercedes SL320 and at 80K Mercedes say remove the auto box sump,replace the filter element and refill with fresh oil,which I did.(very nervously and very cleanly)
spider

Post by spider »

Does vary. Newer GM say the same (sealed) but I changed mine when I had one (several times to be sure it was all changed)

Older PSA ones, say 90 to 97 well they had a dipstick and a change schedule on the service sheet...

I always wonder if "sealed for life" means "sealed for warranty life" :(

I suspect the "sealed" and extended service intervals are more to do with larger fleet buyers and reducing their servicing costs (even though they usually have it as a contract) over their two / three year ownership. It does not really matter than the engine unit will only say live for 150 to 200 instead of 300 with longer intervals as it will be well out of warranty by then. Case in point here is an XUD that's had 6K oil changes and regular coolant changes, pending any unexpected disasters it would last (almost) forever =D>

Private owners would be advised to change fluids more often, the HDi pics with almost tar in the sump on the Citroen forum (to be fair it was a couple of thousand overdue) springs to mind here.

But each to their own.

EDIT... Added a bit, well a lot more information.
Andy.

Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

I always say to my customers that the Peugeot service book is written by the sales and marketing department.There are lots of examples of servicing various components that have not really changed in the last 20 years.In the old days it was part of a service,now its not?? I wonder what Peugeot see as the life span of a 407?? I talk about 404`s & 504`s on a classic forum,some thing tells me they wont be talking about 407`s on that forum in 45 years time.
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

SO! any other suggestions? what can be wrong???