air bag light flashing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

air bag light flashing

Post by john »

mk1 berlingo, light started flashing today, anything i can check myself or is it a diagnostic job?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: air bag light flashing

Post by red_dwarfers »

The first things to check are the pretensioner connectors underneath the front seats, usually an unplug and plug in again will do the job. If the problem happens regularly and the replugging in solves it, it would be a good idea to replace the connectors with higher quality ones or solder them together.

The other, slightly less common thing to check is the rotary connector behind the steering wheel. If you notice the light starts flashing after a significant movement of the steering wheel, it's likely to be the problem. The only two ways of pin pointing it is by replacement with a known working one or via a diagnostic machine.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Don't know if it is the same system but my Xantia had (may still have) a similar problem. My passenger side air bag warning + flashing air bag light came on when someone 'plonked' themselves into the passenger seat.
I checked underneath and the plastic clip holding 3 sets of connectors had come adrift. I disconnected the battery (as advised here when messing with airbag connections) and then checked them out, all seemed sound. Reconnected battery and all ok for a few weeks, I hadn't done anything about the loose clip.

So next time it happened I disconnected battery and cable tied the clip to the seat base (couldn't figure out how it clipped in normally). Did this to stop it moving about and so far so good, I will check it out properly sometime but resetting is obviously getting rid if the message but is not a cure as whatever caused the message is still happening from time to time.
Worth trying as a short term fix ? At least it will show it is an intermittent fault rather than a permanent one ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

charentejohn wrote: I disconnected the battery (as advised here when messing with airbag connections)
A very important thing to do! Give it 5-10 mins before tinkering.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair