citroen BX front suspension rubber hoses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

clivetheitman
My Cars:

citroen BX front suspension rubber hoses

Post by clivetheitman »

just sprung a leak from my font suspension rubber hoses and need to replace them. does anyone know how to remove them from the suspension stut so I can fit new ones. as a new owner of of a BX I have very little knowlege of how to work on the hydrolics but I suspect I will have to get used to doing lots of work on them. thanks for any help [:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Not thatdifficult to get off but sod to get proper clip back on. i ended up using a large jubilee clip with the proper citroen pad.
to fit clean all the area well and flick off the old clop and remove the hose from the back. Put your new one over the hole, put the clip round and connect the clip up and then the hoses to the 2 stubs.
Whole procedure is probably a complete waste of time and money. The chances are your strut is leaking and the surplus LHM is overwhelming the drainage system and leaking out. The BX struts are well known for wearing and the usual symptoms are creaking and groaning as the car rises and falls. I've just replaced my second one and the transformation in the ride is almost unbelievable.
The struts can be rebuilt - have a search on this site as it was discussed in deatil recently.
jeremy
clivetheitman
My Cars:

Post by clivetheitman »

thanks for the infomation. it is definatly the hoses that are leaking. the rubber has cracked with age. I have done a temp fix by smearing the leaky hose with rubber solution from a bike repair kit and double wraping it with soft sticky insulating tape. this is to hold it till I replace the hoses on both front struts tommorow. no more LMP is now leaking under load. hope this may be of use to anyone else with leaky hoses and needs a quick fix to get the home.[8D]