Tips wanted - Changing Accumulator Sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andycarter
My Cars:

Tips wanted - Changing Accumulator Sphere

Post by andycarter »

After reading sevaral recent threads, I've managed to convince myself that my Xantia accumulator sphere needs changing.
Haynes manual is not at all helpful in this respect [:(]
Whats the best way to get at it - theres a few delicate looking hydraulic pipes nearby and the coolant & intercooler hoses above. Do I access the sphere by working from above or below the car?
I bought the new sphere today from GSF but it didn't come with a seal, I suspect its something I can get off the shelf from a Cit dealer (?)
Also once depressurised is it true that the LHM won't pour out with the sphere removed or do I need to stick a tray under it.
Thanks in advance
Andy
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Stick a tray under anyway for drips - though don't expect a massive flood. This is written with experience of the BX rather than the Xantia - so I expect that the system has been fully depressurised using the pressure release bolt-head-screw on the Pressure Regulator.
Other than that it's a case of horses for courses on any hydraulic Citroen - use the access that seems best for your particular car and plan accordingly (i.e. use a ramp or support the car on axle stands if access is best from underneath).
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

..... and as for the O-ring seal, I've never been supplied with a replacement sphere that didn't come with a new one. At a pinch you can use the old o-ring, but it's better to fit a new one each time to allow for any damage when removing the old sphere.
David
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Deffinately from underneath and with front wheels on ramps if poss, stands if not, this can be one of the thoughest spheres to get moving if you are unlucky, best not to go for it without a replacement seal, just not worth the potential hassle.
Dave
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Cheers Dave,
Underneath it is then. I didn't want to go lying down with all the ants only to find out it can only be done from above & vice-versa when there's a fair amount of stuff to remove if starting from the top.
I'll buy a seal tommorrow.
That DIY sphere tool made from a length of M10 stud that was described last week sounds like an absolute winner.
Andy