Car video recorder do you have one?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Car video recorder do you have one?

Post by waynedance »

Ok just ordered a Blackvue 400 HD one, I know there expensive but I like the Idea of peace of mind incase of an accident and also may make you think of your own driving standards.

Does anyone use such a device?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Northern_Mike

Re: Car video recorder do you have one?

Post by Northern_Mike »

In the recent past I used brown tape to attach my HTC Sensation phone to the rear view mirror and recorded my journey to work to see if it was ok.

A short snippet of the journey can be seen here - a rather odd bit with a lorry driver trying to shoo a baby rabbit off the road!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The entire thing, if you really are that bored can be found here. The problem with the phonecam is that the autofocus seems to zoom in and out constantly, making it appear in some cases that I am closer to cars, or that I am accelerating really jerkily and quickly. This was filmed in RUNN (a 1.9TD Xantia), therefore quickly is not really possible..

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

dont use it for the car, but have a 'mini DVR' i got from ebay that i mounted to my bike helmet for a bit of footage,
one of these with a 4gb class 10 card in, (had a class 4 in and was a little jerkey as writing to card so upped the speed and is spot on!)
bit of footage here, in a car it would be much smoother due to not having a head constantly moving hahaha!!)

i picked up mine for just under a fiver, had 2 in the end as found out they dont like tree strikes in the woods hahahha!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've been thinking about getting something for the accident reason and just so I can look back and see what the roads were like in 10 years time. When you've had a play with your recorder could you let us know what you think of it?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've been thinking about wearing a helmet constantly when outdoors, in case a tortoise falls on my head.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thats a fair point Adam, I never thought of it like that.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

To be more serious, the dash camera may prove incriminating for some of us! :wink:

At least in Australia the logged data in an car's sundry ECUs has NEVER (yet) been accepted as admissible evidence in a legal case. That would extend to cameras placed by an owner or driver. I don't know how the UK stands re in-car data logs, but have not heard of them ever being submitted as evidence - whether to prosecute or defend.

Of course the sellers of such cameras wouldn't let on that they are probably marketing their devices on a false premise...

Here's a right tailgater for you:

Some of the most offensive driving I saw that day.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I've been thinking about wearing a helmet constantly when outdoors, in case a tortoise falls on my head.
We have more cats round here than tortoises. I was considering one in case of attack from above, complete with neck guard.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Fridges are very prevalent where i live, they tumble out of blocks of flats on a regular basis. I think a vertically pointing camera has some merit. :lol:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

SaabC5 wrote:Fridges are very prevalent where i live, they tumble out of blocks of flats on a regular basis. I think a vertically pointing camera has some merit. :lol:
A long time ago now, I was staying with a mate in Thornaby. There was a party in a flat across the way, 10th floor. They chucked the gas cooker over the balcony at 2am.