volcane td wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kerrboy
My Cars:

volcane td wont start

Post by kerrboy »

went out to car tonight and it wont start[:(]
when i turn on the ignition theres a buzzing coming from the relay thats bolted onto the front of the fusebox on the pass/side inner wing. if i try to start the engine the solonoid just clicks but wont turn over. sometimes the ign lights are dim but i dont think its the battery as ive tried putting the headlamps on and starting but they dont dim or anything.
car is a 94 volcane td .
hope you cxan help.
c[:)]heers
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Give the starter motor a few taps with a hammer, that often frees them up.
kerrboy
My Cars:

Post by kerrboy »

tried that and rocking with it in gear
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Can you elaborate on the relay buzzing - is it rapidly switching on and off? Sometimes this can be caused when the circuit being switched on causes a voltage drop that it turn reduces the megnetic field in the relay coil, I've also come across this sort of behaviour if the relay has developed a mechanical fault.
If its a small relay thats simple to disconnect or remove then I'd start by testing it. Alternatively you might try overriding the relay by bridging its contacts temporarily if you know what it controls.
The headlights are not dimming probably because the starter motor windings are not being energised.
Can you check the battery voltage? Are the terminals on the starter solenoid clean?
I used to have starter solenoid probems on an old motorbike, on that it was easy to short out the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver and get it going because the solenoid was separate and near the battery, not built into the starter motor like cars [:(]
Andy
kerrboy
My Cars:

Post by kerrboy »

the relay buzzes continuously till i switch the ign off.
its not a small relay its bolted onto the outside of the fuse/relay box on the inner wing and has got 1 multiplug and 2 cables bolted onto the bottom of it.
i dont have a voltage meter or anything like that.
all the terminals are clean and tight
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

I don't have any specific experiences with a volcane, therefore I'm not sure exactly what this thing is thats bolted to the wing but it sounds very much like it is the root of your problem.
I'm guessing that the two cables that are bolted on must be heavy duty cables going to the starter right?
My gut feeling is that this device is at fault. If the multiplug has only 2 wires then that sounds very much like a simple albeit heavy duty relay. I'd try shorting the heavy duty terminals with a big old screwdriver (one that that you don't mind melting) whilst you're holding the screwdriver in position get an assistant to turn the key (car in neutral!)
However, if the multiplug has loads of wires then the mystery object might be something altogther more sinister...
Hang one a minute, what am I saying; its late at night and I'm advising someone with a car I don't know to short out terminals on something that may or may not be what I think it is...
Probably best to wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm it in the morning[;)][:0]
kerrboy
My Cars:

Post by kerrboy »

the multiplug has 4 or 5 wires and tho other 2 are heavy duty.they do join into the loom which goes to the starter
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The relay is the glow plug relay, to have that buzzing and the fact the starter wont turn probably means there is a main earth/positive connection fault somewhere, or simply that the battery is goosed.
Check the earth points on the body and gearbox and cable connections at the battery.
Dave
kerrboy
My Cars:

Post by kerrboy »

tried a jump start and ive just changed the starter but its still the same just going to check the earths
kerrboy
My Cars:

Post by kerrboy »

SUCCESS[:D][:D][:D]
took the earth lead off the gearbox to give it a clean and the serated washer was all burnt. gave it all a clean stuck a new washer on and it started first pop[:)]
many thanks for all your help. kerrboy