insufficient oil pressure and stop warning c8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john1doherty

insufficient oil pressure and stop warning c8

Post by john1doherty »

Hi all
my '04 c8 2.2 d showed a "low oil pressure" warning so i pulled over and checked the oil she needed a drop but was by no means very low. i added a pint and gave her a rev and the warning went out so i drove on , the warning came on again and continued to flicker on and off for a while untill the "insufficient oil pressure" and "stop" with the oil light came on. got the car home and did an oil and filter change and also used an engine flush to clean it out before new oil and filter added. problem is the insufficient oil pressure warning is still on and comes on as soon as i start the engine no warming up just on straight away. can anyone tell me what my next move is ? does it sound like sender unit or oil pump or worse ?

cheers in advance
john
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: insufficient oil pressure and stop warning c8

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the engine sounds OK (not rattly), then it would seem likely to be a sender or other electronic fault.
Get it on a lexia if you can, or just take a punt on the pressure sender.
john1doherty

Post by john1doherty »

there is a slight rattle like a clattering sound thats been there for a while before the warning came on, it was getting louder but my mechanic mate reckoned the crank shaft pulley was making a rattle ?? would the insufficient oil pressure take a few minutes to register on the car if there was a problem with the pump or bearings ?
thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Normally the oil pressure would drop with increasing temperature, I would agree with Xantia v6 that its probably a sensor fault. If the engine was sufficiently worn to cause low oil pressure it would probably have a bottom end rattle on start up. Could be a faulty oil pump of course but I don't think its a common problem.

Peter
john1doherty

Post by john1doherty »

update
just picked up a oil pressure sensor and fitted it along with a bottle of "liqui moly viscoplus for oil" to improve the oil pressure and that and its fine so far !! ( i just hope the new sender is not faulty and not showing up the fault !!) need to go for a run now with fingers crossed and hope for the best i think.
cheers for the replies