Engine management light on after aux belt fitted?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fotobright

Engine management light on after aux belt fitted?

Post by fotobright »

Hi,

After much help from FCF the new Xantia aux alternator belt has just been fitted.

I just drove the car round the block and the pitch suddenly changed, I thought something went POP as when the aux belt went last week. The engine has developed a loud clatter and the engine management light is. I think its that light anyway, its the left hand most warning light on the Xantia dashboard.

Both belts are still running, whats going on, it doesn't sound good to me?

Any ideas?
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Engine management light on after aux belt fitted?

Post by Lighty »

Probably a belt fragment has made you cam belt jump, DO NOT start it until you check the cambelt timing
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Thanks for the thoughts on this. Cambelt timing, ok?

We started the engine after fitting the belt and it sounded ok. After starting and driving 100m today, there was a noise/thump and then the engine noise increased and was very clattery. I did drive it 200m back to the house though!
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Being a '98 1.9 TD you will have the electronically controlled Bosch injection pump. This has a needle lift sensor on the injector nearest the belt side of the engine and it is easy knocked, usually giving the symptoms of a clattery engine. You'll see a wire coming out of the injector going into a plug, if it has come unplugged, plug it back in. If it's already plugged in, pull the locking bit of metal off being careful that it doesn't fly off and run away, clean up the connector and plug it back in again.

I guess if there was a thump it may not be that but it's worth starting with the easy stuff first!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pretty sure the metal clip is press to release, not pull off to release
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

This happened to my R reg xantia TD , where the Aux belt shredded and once a new one Aux belt was fitted it ran like a bag of nuts and bolts and was very clattery. I knew straight away that it seemed to be the timing was out and suspected the timing belt had jumped a tooth.

A new timing belt was fitted and the parts of the old Aux belt removed and the old girl was as good as new for another 30k before it was scrapped.

I'm affraid it could be another long Sunday with plenty of cups of tea. :) :)
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Oh how I wish when I looked under the bonnet just now I'd a loose needle lift sensor. Alas, it seems fine!

When I drove the car for the first 100m it sounded fine though, then changed pitch..prob as accelerated over 30. If the timing was out by 1 tooth I would have heard that as I started the engine?..I suppose however the a piece of the old belt which was lurking in the blackness could have flicked up onto the timing belt and made it jump a tooth.
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

How right you were! A chunk of the aux belt was inside the timing belt cover and had put out the timing by one notch on two pulleys!!

Thanks for the advice and flagging up the issue.

Taffyrhys wrote:This happened to my R reg xantia TD , where the Aux belt shredded and once a new one Aux belt was fitted it ran like a bag of nuts and bolts and was very clattery. I knew straight away that it seemed to be the timing was out and suspected the timing belt had jumped a tooth.

A new timing belt was fitted and the parts of the old Aux belt removed and the old girl was as good as new for another 30k before it was scrapped.

I'm affraid it could be another long Sunday with plenty of cups of tea. :) :)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

fotobright wrote:How right you were! A chunk of the aux belt was inside the timing belt cover and had put out the timing by one notch on two pulleys!!
Good stuff :) Just goes to show how easily it happens and why it's so important to keep an eye on the belt and check the timing if the thing breaks...

I'm delighted it only knocked the timing out by a tooth. A lucky escape!

I trust all is now well and happy...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...