thread stripped on wheel nuts and front hub?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fotobright

thread stripped on wheel nuts and front hub?

Post by fotobright »

Thanks for all the help with the alternator belt.

Was just putting the wheel on and realised two of the wheel nuts are not tightening! One is threading in but wont tension up really tight and the other is hardly getting any purchase, the other two are fine I think what has happened is that when the car was last having the tyres changed they have used a non Citroen bolt and de-threaded the thread in the hub.

My question is:

Without having to change the front wheel hub and bearing is there straighforward way I can re-tap the de-threaded holes take new bolts? I guess the tap could be exactly as the existing bolts are 12:125 or maybe I should go bigger. Perhaps someone can advise about tapping-bolt sizes if possible.

Thanks
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: thread stripped on wheel nuts and front hub?

Post by red_dwarfers »

I wouldn't have thought you could tap the same size, even if you could I don't imagine it would be a very strong fixing. It's probably not a good idea to go up a size, unless you have wheel bolts to fit, even then it might cause agro in the future, mixing up of bolts, possibly having to carry around a second bolt undooer dooby (the name escapes me!) in the boot if you get a flat tyre etc...

Probably just as easy to get hold of a replacement hub though I'm not sure if all Xantias have the same one. Even if it's not the case, being a 1.9TD it should be fairly easy to come by a second hand one. It's a fairly straightforward job if you have a big socket for the driveshaft, set of allen keys and a decent ball joint splitter.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I'd very much agree Kev. It's far too safety critical to start trying fixes like re-tapping and bigger bolts and so on. If the worst happened the insurance may be voided through the making of unsatisfactory repairs.

Swapping a whole hub is easy enough and I believe all are much the same except those on the big engined cars with the ML5 gearbox, V6, 110 HDi, 2.1TD and Activa. All those with the BE3 I think should do...

Sadly, there's no way of changing the hub itself without destroying the wheel bearings and in any case a press will be needed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: Sadly, there's no way of changing the hub itself without destroying the wheel bearings and in any case a press will be needed.
But you can change the hub complete with the hub-carrier and bearings. That is not difficult if you have a socket to fit the hub not and a ball joint splitter.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote:
CitroJim wrote: Sadly, there's no way of changing the hub itself without destroying the wheel bearings and in any case a press will be needed.
But you can change the hub complete with the hub-carrier and bearings. That is not difficult if you have a socket to fit the hub not and a ball joint splitter.
My bad :oops: I meant the inner hub, the bit with the wheel flange on it. Sorry...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I guess you could helicoil them but I think I would be just changing the whole hub as it seems the easiest way out.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Flange and bearing purchased..

Now, where's that length of scaffold bar to get the hub nut off?
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

fotobright wrote:Flange and bearing purchased..
Don't forget the hydraulic press... If you're anywhere near me you can use mine...
Jim