Xsara electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cducklin
My Cars:

Xsara electrics

Post by cducklin »

All,
Indicators have just gone on xsara, although I suspect the switch in the stalk unit, the other functions on the stalk work fine horn lights, fogs etc
The lights still function when I switch on the alarm but there is no click click when I move the stalk or any dashboard indicator
the only trouble is when I try the hazard button that does not work eitther which makes me suspect that it is not the stalk (unless there is some convoluted wiring)
have looked in handbook & examined hazard switch but seems o.k.
any suggestions?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My bet it's either the fuse or the indicator relay - both your indicator stalk & hazard warning switch uses this same relay. The different functions is achieved solely by the switches.
Look in your owners handbook for location of fuse and relay.
Could even be the indicator relay - or fuse - partly rattled off the socket.
cducklin
My Cars:

Post by cducklin »

checked fuses in daylight, seem o.k.
owners manual doesn't show the relay position & haven't got a "haynes" manual, where would it be, in the engine bay, behind the dash or in the steering column shroud?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the flasher unit relay is located under the fusebox inside the car,its likely to be a 5 way grey plug with a 3 pin relay in it (+only three wires into the plug).you should have a live feed at pin 2 with the ignition on & an earth at pin 1.pin 5 goes to the stalk switch.a faulty hazzard switch could also cause this as the relay gets its feed from pin 1 of this switch.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The indicator switch itself failed on our ZX so these things are not unheard of. Wife was driving it at the time when she turned right and noticed smoke coming out of it. She centred the switch, it stopped smoking and she drove home without either indicators or further incident.
On investigation the switch would not move into either left or right positions but all else worked normally.
jeremy
cducklin
My Cars:

Post by cducklin »

Ta for tips,
Can see relays, from left to right Orange (clipped in) Blue, Blank, Orange & green / grey in line, Black & blank in line (also last two rows covered in felt, opls if colours wrong but am colourblind.
Spoke to friendly neighbourhood Jon Witmun, seemed to think relay was problem, local cit dealer charges £14 so may try that.
Was thninking of seeing if BX 16v relay worked but appears to have one less pin.......strange
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hi Chris
Jane didn't get home till after dark last night so I'll try and get a look tonight and identify the relay for you.
Cheers mate
Adrian