ABS warning message

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin.M

ABS warning message

Post by Robin.M »

Hi

XM VSX 2.1 Diesel Estate(R reg - 96K miles)

I have just had the ABS not working message[/b] show up plus dashboard warning light. Any thoughts where to start - no loss of fluid that I can see

Geraint
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ABS warning message

Post by spider »

A diagnostic may be easier, I'd suspect one of the sensors or its wiring is unwell.

It may be worth checking they are plugged in and their connectors are not damaged / corroded but a diag will be quicker to determine the cause. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Connectors can be a source of trouble on the XM, usually the front ones which are not to difficult to get at. Follow the wires from the sensors and you will find a small two pin plug/socket on the subframe, take it apart and squirt some WD40 into both sides then plug/unplug it several times. You can check which sensor is giving the problem with a meter from the ECU plug as Andy says.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

The resistance of the sensors depends on which ABS system you have. There were three fitted to the XM over its life, it would be worth running a search on the club xm forums as I'm sure I've seen them noted there.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Robin.M

Post by Robin.M »

Thank's for the replies - I will look at the front sensors this weekend - suddenly the warning message has gone which suggests it may be a poor earth.
Will have to see what I can find
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Something else that might be worth checking is the ABS ECU relay which I know on the Teves setup is between the engine bay fuse box and headlight. Mine was just flapping about, I'm sure it should be attached to something. The contacts on mine were quite dirty but it ended up being a broken coil in the relay itself.

Another thing to check, particularly if the light comes on intermittently while driving, are the teeth on the ABS rings around the driveshafts. They should have defined teeth without too much muck, I use a file to knock the muck out. Check for cracks in the ring too. Also on the Bendix setup the air gap between the ABS ring and ABS sensor can be manually set, could well have come out of adjustment though unlikely I imagine. The gap is set using a feeler gauge, though I can't remember off the top of my head what it's supposed to be.

it could still be a sensor a fault with a degrading wire or coil, it's just a case of going through everything logically.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

+1 on the ABS relay, done loads of them. It's the green one behind the n/s headlight. Half the time you pull the relay out & it's so corroded that half the pins of the relay stay stuck in the plug. A repair relay holder & terminals can be bought from Citroen seperatley. If it is that let me know & i'll look out the part numbers for you. If it is the relay thats failed you'll find that Lexia probably won't comunicate with the ABS system anyway.