Looking for tools whats best?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Looking for tools whats best?

Post by waynedance »

Looked at the halfords pro range but the sockets are 12 point and some say 6 point are better. Also you get alot of stuff I would not use like the imperial sockets.

The Britool stuff looks good I have seen a metric 3/4 & 1/4 inch 98pc set for £110.

I know nothing about tools but want something that will last and will be for home use on the car and push bikes.

Comments and recommendations welcome.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've bought from UKTools and Tradesmans Choice. Draper from the former, Stahlwille the latter.

Better grades of tools have slightly better finished edges on the forgings, are lighter (better strength/purity of alloy) and usually more accurately machined.

Your first but should be a set of combination spanners, the next a modest sized 3/8 drive socket set.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Looking for tools whats best?

Post by citronut »

Britool are usually good quality
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Britool is at the top of the list so far.Just gother to find out about there warranty.
Volvo S80 D5.........
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you want the best then go for Snap-On, Lifetime guarantee on most things, only problem is It's big £££ & not really worth it unless your using them to make a living.
Apart from that I find Sealey & Beta really good value for money.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Only trouble is, Snap-On tell you that you have to service some things like ratchets. So if it goes bung they might say you'd neglected essential service.

I think the "all in one box" tool kits are a bit like the "handy big box" of assorted screws/nuts/washers you can buy in hardware shops. There's going to be an awful lot of practical redundancies. If you buy deepwall six point impact sockets in 3/8" drive, they will generally endure abuse above their station with a ½" × 2' breaker bar and impact grade adaptor.
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

When I first got into tinkering on my car I bought a cheapish set of sockets and spanners with the plan of replace if or when they break after 10 years with my argos socket set I have replaced only the 17mm socket I was using to remove my wheels as it cracked same thing with the ratchet it has been replaced as I hit it with a hammer as I couldnt find my breaker bar :( I have tools from Halfords, b&q and the pound store as well and not had a prob with most but they get replaced with a better one as soon as they break plus you can afford to have 2 or 3 of the same spanner very handy especially a 10mm spanner for some reason

With most things in life buy the best you can afford or need
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The Britool set lacks wobble extensions, something I find indispensable in my 3/8" kit.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re:

Post by wheeler »

addo wrote:Only trouble is, Snap-On tell you that you have to service some things like ratchets. So if it goes bung they might say you'd neglected essential service.
I must say i've never once had Snap-On quibble about replacing or repairing anything. I cant think off hand either anything that has broken & it wasn't my fault due to using it in some way it wasn't quite intended i.e. using them in conjuction with hammers, scaffold poles, hydraulic presses etc. Obviously these things aint admitted to the snap-on guy. 8-)
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Britool are now owned by the Stanley group, and have become just another brand. My preference, determined through over 20 years experience is, Snap-On, Facom, Stahlwille, Beta and US Pro Tool. Avoid Teng like the plague, they are the only tools I've ever broken in normal use.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Was looking at a pro us tool box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160845964801? ... 399wt_1851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did see a PRO US socket set but can not see any information on the web about them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-155-Pi ... 6052wt_964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Volvo S80 D5.........
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote:Britool are now owned by the Stanley group, and have become just another brand. My preference, determined through over 20 years experience is, Snap-On, Facom, Stahlwille, Beta and US Pro Tool. Avoid Teng like the plague, they are the only tools I've ever broken in normal use.
Agreed...

Halfrauds Pro stuff seems very good, even though I've busted one of their breaker bars it was replaced without quibble...

Also, in addition to Stanley, avoid Draper. Even their so-called Expert stuff is s**t but then we all know what an expert is: an ex something we are glad to be rid of and a spurt is a drip under pressure... For instance, their Expert range of Torx bits fall to bits under quite moderate abuse.

I still have many Spanish Acesa tools that I bought over 30 years ago now. They've seen some incredibly hard use and are still going strong...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I have a Halfords Pro 3/8 & 1/4 drive socket set, which has always seemed up to the job. My only slight complaint is that I'd like the 3/8 drive sockets to go smaller than 14mm, sometimes I want to put a bit more grunt into a 13mm socket. I've read that they are made by a big name, possibly Facom.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Loads of good recomendations from everyone, just thought i would say Halfords pro is very good, not had a problem with my torque wrench or ratchet spanners and the later gets serious heavy use and still as good as new.
My sockets etc are sealey, lifetime guarantee (provided you have the original sales reciept) and again had them for donkeys years and they are perfect.

I actualy started out with a £70 chest of tools from Argos when i was 13, i still have the chest, some screwdrivers, pliers, sockets and 3/8 ratchet i just did what others have said and replaced the tools with good ones as they broke, to be fair it lasted really well so long as they were not abused but obviously quality wasnt great.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Ok just be Halfords and got the 1/4 & 3/8 set for £59.99 in the sale was £99.99. It has the better 70 something hatchet teeth.

Will get a small portable tool chest next and keep adding to it.
Volvo S80 D5.........