Berlingo Multispace with issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matrix MG

Berlingo Multispace with issues

Post by Matrix MG »

Hi all, My girlfriend has a Citroen Berlingo Multispace as a recent(ish) aquisition to use as her works vehicle, and as per the title, it has a few issues.
Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

first off, the car runs very poor, it cuts out when manouvering and then requires a touch of throttle to encourage it to start.
would i be correct in thinking that is likely to be the IACV?
second, it is drinking fuel like it's happy hour and it's got a pocket full of notes, current consumption is around 10-15mpg,
a mechanically minded friend of ours has narrowed down a couple of sensors that are not working on the throttle body, but is the over-fuelling more likely to be a temperature sensor? seems like it is stuck on full choke (or whatever the modern equivalent is).
the van has actually turned all 4 plugs black in a matter of 2 weeks.

now i assume that the french manufacturers share engines as well as bodyshells etc, are there any other vehicles we could look out for in the scrapyards with the same engine/parts?

and if possible, what is the name/designation given to the engine?

last point (unless i remember anything else) what wheels should be on the car?
it currently has some 14'' alloys that just scream McDonalds carpark racing special to me, but if i type the reg into blackcircles it comes up with 165/65 R15.

Thanks muchly for any help. :D
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo Multispace with issues

Post by Lighty »

Welcome to the forum :D
The problem is that we do not have much info,to,go on, you don't state engine size, it must be petrol yes ?
Temp sensor sounds like a good start, I wouldn't advise aused one, as they are cheap anyway.
If you pm me your reg no or chassis, I will be able to,determine the engine type yuo have.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Matrix MG

Post by Matrix MG »

Ah, know i'd forgot something, yes, it's a 1.8 petrol
i think someone said it was a mk1, well, it's a W reg 2000 model anyway.

just to add to the issues a previous owner had an LPG system fitted (well, i suspect it was fitted by the previous owners, and not a proper fitter as there are pipes blanked off by sockets and spare wires hanging everywhere.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd start with the ECU temp sensor then, as if this is reading low it will use more fuel as the ECU will think the engine is cold and enrich the mixture. :) Depending on how low it reads, it may run badly when warm. A good clue to this is faultless (more or less) running when stone cold and during initial warm up.

Its probably worth changing this sensor anyway if in doubt, (similar to a dirty air filter in a way) the cost of the sensor will be recovered in fuel saved...

EDIT... Your engine code is XU7, although which type I'm not sure, is it 16v ? If its 8v it may be XU7JB

Regarding parts, its the same as the Peugeot Partner and the Fiat (can't remember what that one is called actually) , if it is an 8v engine then parts can come from early 405's / Xantia's. 16v units can be found in 406's and Xantia's too, as well as a selection of other PSA vehicles. Be aware they may use different injection types though, so not all are suitable, more a guide than anything else.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In all cases like this it's easiest and best in the long run to have a diagnostics session on the engine. Although costly and teeth-sucking stuff for as garage it needn't be for you as many of us on here have both the necessary diagnostic kit and the skill to use it. A well executed diagnostic session will pin-point the problem in no time and save a lot of guesswork.

There's a thread in the Supersticky area of this forum called 'Lexia Locations' which details who's available and where they live. Many will do for free or suitable renumeration in pints...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Matrix MG

Post by Matrix MG »

ah, glad you brought up diagnostics, what system does it run with?
i've got a program and cable to read all OBD2 compliant including EOBD but can't get the van to communicate, that is, once i get the damaged OBD connector to connect to my cable.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

A lexia would be a bit better and provide more detail diagnosis.

Is it multiplexed ? (as W = 2000 so about on the changeover, possibly a bit early though) , if you're not sure find a picture of your indicator / wiper stalk and post it here, basically the chunkier ones are plexed in most cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Matrix MG

Post by Matrix MG »

bit lost on the lexia part, guessing it's the citroen diagnostics system,
like the equivalent of MGRover T4.

sorry for being so slow on info gathering, my OH lives nearly 20 miles away and isn't home much due to work,
should be able to get pics etc on saturday/sunday.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Matrix MG wrote:bit lost on the lexia part, guessing it's the Citroën diagnostics system,
like the equivalent of MGRover T4.
Yes, it is. In reality it's the only thing that will properly read the codes. Citroens of this age didn't use EOBD despite having a 16 pin EOBD-style socket so most code readers are pretty useless.

Many of us on here have Lexia clones which will do the job well. Have a look on the Supersticky Lexia Locations thread for possibly a member having one nearby to you who may be happy to run a diagnostic for you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...