306 Hdi Engine Buzz

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john howley

306 Hdi Engine Buzz

Post by john howley »

I hope someone can help with this one.
The fuel filter on my 306 Hdi vibrates and makes a loud buzzing noise.I hade the car 6 months before the noise started. The local pug dealers says its normal but it refused to make a noise for them. I dont see how it can be normal as its loud enough to require the radio to be turned up a couple of notches. Any suggestions most welcome as this is spoiling the enjoyment of a great car.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

this used to happen alot on the early Xantia HDi's when the fuel system is being primed when the ignition is switched on.it was cured by replacing the filter housing & filter (i think they come together).
john howley

Post by john howley »

I think I know what you mean as I have also have a Xantia Hdi and it does make a quick purr every now and then (I think its the priming). The 306 noise is much louder and continues for ages and may stay on for the full journey, sometimes it even carries on for a short while after the ignition is switched off. Apart from the noise I am concerned that a pump or something may be operating when it shouldnt be.
The fuel filter housing is plastic and not very robust, do you know how to open the housing to fit a new filter. I dont want to break the housing although I may follow your suggestion and buy another one anyway, if its not mega expensive.[:)]
Hope this makes sense as I have just come back from the pub after testing a few pints of Boddingtons for quality.
John
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

There's a fuel lift pump in the tank on the HDI's. If the filter hasn't been changed for a while, why not change it and make sure that the O ring and metal ring under the top cover are replaced correctly.
john howley

Post by john howley »

Can you advise how to open the fuel filter housing. Its plastic and I cant see how it comes apart.I presume it screws apart and did try to open it but it seemed more likely to break than open. The flats on the top of the housing started to give. Should I remove the complete housing?