C5 Rear ABS Sensor Type

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samson1886

C5 Rear ABS Sensor Type

Post by samson1886 »

A friend of mine who had successfully converted his c5 on the hydraulic suspension into coil spring (normal) suspension.
The rear arm axle has been changed (or rather) swap with Mi16 rear axle and it fits perfectly.
The only thing is the ABS Sensor.

The C5 ABS Sensor (Rear Left & Right) is working correctly. However, it is due to the rear axle plugging into the C5 chasis is Mi16, thus, it may not be applicable, considering the mounting is different & the reading indicator is of different type.

We were wondering if the ABS Sensor (original came with Mi16 axle) can be connected / replace directly? Will the wiring is the same?

We did a comparison on the Mi16 sensor versus C5 for the ABS via ohm meter.
Reading as follow:
1) C5 ABS Sensor reading at 3.1 MegaOhm
2) Mi16 ABS Sensor reading at 1.8 KiloOhm.

Both are came with 2-pin connector. We are not too sure if the Mi16 sensor can be connected directly with the wiring considering the ohm reading is different. Will this make the sensor faulty?
Anyone can comments / feedback?
Thanks!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: C5 Rear ABS Sensor Type

Post by red_dwarfers »

Personally I would be siding with keeping the C5 ABS sensors. A couple of other things that would be worth thinking about are the number of teeth on the rings and maybe how deep the gaps are. Basically, I wouldn't be surprised if they use two completely incompatible systems.

Credit to your mate for taking that project on, it would be interesting to hear more about it if he's willing to share as I've not heard of it being done before.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What a waste of a comfortable car :(
samson1886

Post by samson1886 »

yes. It is the best case if we could remain / keep the C5 original ABS sensor at the rear. However, due to the ring & teeth in Mi16 axle were different, thus the C5 ABS sensor may not be applicable in this case.

Thus, we will need to use the Mi16 ABS sensor that came with the axle. I am not sure if electrically, it remain the same? I guess we will need to give it a try though.

I do agree that the C5 ride & comfortness would be loose if converting to normal suspension. It is undeniable that C5 in our country is rare & not running around in good condition.
The weather here is dry & hot all year. Hydraulic suspension would really need extra tenderness, care & love to look after in order to maintain in workable condition.
For this conversation, my friend who was constantly having hydraulic pump malfunction/error/defect which has leads him for this conversion. The pumps weren't that cheap over here & it's not easily available though.
The car has begun running on the road. The susupension, of course wasn't has comfort as it use to be. Nonetheless, he is looking forward to tune it where it is close by.
Only the Rear ABS sensor which keep indicating the error on the dashboard, and it's annoying, i guess.
The front suspension were use back the original axle, only added the coil spring & absorber for the hydraulic suspension.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've always assumed that the ECU must know how many teeth are on the ring so that it can calculate a complete revolution of the wheel. If that is the case, it would throw out the ECU. It is possible to get hold of replacement rings. Would a shiny new C5 ring fit on the 405 axle?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair