C5 2.2 HDI SX 2001, Crank Pulley.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RussBristol

C5 2.2 HDI SX 2001, Crank Pulley.

Post by RussBristol »

Hello, I am new to this forum but have found many very helpful tips and information which has saved me a great deal of time and money.

I have a rattly noise coming from the lower end on the off side of engine which I have been told could be the pulley which has a damper and when worn could cause this problem.
When I remove the pulley I believe the timing belt 'cog' will be situated directly behind it, my question is: Is this 'cog' located on the crank with a spline or keyway, or is it free to spin when the pulley is removed. I am worried about messing up the timing without locking the crank and cam.

I know this may seem a simple question but I recently done a cam belt on a old fiesta and the bottom pulley did in fact hold the cam belt cog on the crank.

Thanks in advance
Russ
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 2.2 HDI SX 2001, Crank Pulley.

Post by myglaren »

Before you dismantle anything use some tippex or similar quick drying coating to paint a radius line on the pulley.
When it has been run for a while you will see if any parts of the pulley shift relative to others, in which case it is definitely cabbaged.

As to the presence of a spline I couldn't say.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello,

The timing belt pulley is keyed to the crankshaft and wont move when you remove the crankshaft pulley.

The original pulley is a composite and the rubber gives up after long term use. You can get a solid pulley as a replacement.

I fitted a solid pulley to mine and it's been absolutely fine.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If you do go for a dual mass crank pulley spend the money and get an OE Citroen one, aftermarket ones don't last five minutes before failing. I went through 2 aftermarkets, the first lasted 5 months and then started knocking, the second lasted a week and failed big time!. A new Citroen one (£109) and alls been fine since.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
RussBristol

Post by RussBristol »

Thanks for all your advice, this forum is brilliant. I was going to mark the pulley, following advice from Mylaren, but after removing os wheel and inner arch cover it became obvious that the crankshaft pulley was definetley u.s. I could move it manually in most directions. Due to lack of funds and urgency I have purchased and fitted a replacement from GSF Autoparts (read Saab c5 advice when I got home) which cost about £65.00 quid including new belt. A pretty straight forward job and no chance of messy up timing as I was concerned about. I will see how long it lasts and let you know. A lot of people slag off my C5 but I have hardly touched it in about 2 years apart from the obvious, but every job I have done recently has been fairly straight forward, removed and cleaned FAP, changed swirl valve, fixed leak to LDS tank and now the crank pulley. I think the engineering is spot on. She runs lovely now.
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

RussBristol wrote:Thanks for all your advice, this forum is brilliant. I think the engineering is spot on. She runs lovely now.
I think the 2.2HDi gets a bad rep compared to the 2.0. A nice running 2.2 is a joy to drive, smooth, torquey and smoke free as well. I had course to really open mine up this morning to get out of trouble a van was determined to put me in, 40-70 in 3rd very quickly and the impending accident was left far behind.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It drives beautifully but uses to much fuel for me :(

Peter
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

I'm getting 31mpg around Central London, upto 60mpg if i set the cruise to 60mph on a long run, late 40's if i drive at "normal" motorway speeds. My tuned 9-5 used to return 17mpg around town & 30mpg on a run, now that hurts the pocket! :(
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Nice to see another happy 2.2 owner, what if the FAP you cleaned out?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

KevMayer wrote:Hello,

The timing belt pulley is keyed to the crankshaft and wont move when you remove the crankshaft pulley.

The original pulley is a composite and the rubber gives up after long term use. You can get a solid pulley as a replacement.

I fitted a solid pulley to mine and it's been absolutely fine.
Would just like to point out that this information is incorrect, you CAN NOT replace the rubber pulley with a solid.
The solid pulley goes with the alternator that has a clutch fitted, so only driving in one direction.
If you delete the dual mass pulley, and don't have this alternator, the belt will likely spit itself off and wreck the engine.
Believe me I know #-o
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

waynedance wrote:Nice to see another happy 2.2 owner, what if the FAP you cleaned out?
Never cleaned or deleted the FAP, i did recently use a can of Wynns EGR 3 on the engine and was impressed with the outcome, the car does run smoother/quicker after using it. I do however have a tuning box fitted which certainly increased my mpg figures as well as giving more welly. :sun:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have fitted a tuning box to mine it now goes like the clappers - if I want it to, but no improvement in fuel consumption, its only averaging just over 40 mpg, my 2.0L 406 is averaging 54.4mpg and I drive the C5 just as carefully.

Peter
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Looked at these tuning boxes but scared of putting extra wear on the engine if that's possible.

When i looked there were so many boxes to choose from I got put of the idea. What boxes do you both have?
Volvo S80 D5.........
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

waynedance wrote:Looked at these tuning boxes but scared of putting extra wear on the engine if that's possible.

When i looked there were so many boxes to choose from I got put of the idea. What boxes do you both have?
So long as you know the engine is mecahnically sound there's no reason not to tune it a little, engine manufacturers over engineer just to make sure their engines are durable. My Saab was 150bhp out of the box but ran 240bhp for 5 years with no problems, a friend ran the same car with 330bhp for years before selling it on and its still going now. I bought my tuning box off eBay see the attached link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-chip-t ... 2a1eb8d56a
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

How easy are they to fit? very tempted.

Only bothered about a little more power, mpg would be a bonus but would not be happy to loose mpg. Will have to see what injectors I have.
Volvo S80 D5.........