Battery Terminals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KAD

Battery Terminals

Post by KAD »

I have heard that the battery cable terminals on Xantias are of poor quality which gives rise to a voltage drop where the cabling meets the terminal ends. Is this correct? I am thinking of cutting off the originals and fitting some new ones. I have never been too happy with the output to the glow plugs.
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD 175,000m
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Yes, quite true. I bash mine with a hammer occasionally to keep them working. I really must change them sometime. On my BX I had the same problem, but the leads were also pretty thin so I changed them for some I made myself from arc welding cable. Made a fantastic difference.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I would'nt say these terminals are poor quality - they are just made of unsuitable material [:D][:D]
The original fitted is made of lead - really unsuitable to try torque onto the battery poles.
Replacement ones are usaully made of brass - more sturdy.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

While you can fit a bolt on terminal to the exiating cable and I've had cars that have run with them for years, I think you may be surprised how cheap a ready made lead is from your friendly accessory shop. From what I've seen they are a couple of pounds or so and are available in many lengths and fittings.
If you have a meter handy set it to 20 volts or close and connect it between the battery + and the engine block (without disturbing anything at all) and operate the starter. If there is only a small reading - then all is ok - if its high then you may have found a problem. How much it should drop I can't say but if you have another car available without the problem you could measure that and compare.
Jeremy
Jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I became suspicious of the battery terminals on my XM TD12; I went out and bought a couple of really cheap bronze terminal clamps (£5 pair!)with cam-action clamps. When I broke open the old lead connectors I found that one of them had overheated quite badly and the copper conductor was quite lose inside the lead fitting. With the new connectors I found that the voltage to the headlights for example, was a good volt better and the starter turns a lot faster as well.
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just a thought for the really keen owners.
One of my sons is a qualified I.C.E. sound system designer/fitter for Alpine Stereo systems.
He has access to a lot of stuff readily available & although at times expensive, sometimes it's cheaper than constantly replacing the lower quality stuff. When he fitted his sound system to his CX a couple of years back, the power draw was such you could have welded with it so he had to take drastic action & arrived home with new battery cable and 24crt Gold plated terminals. They weren't cheap but he transfers them from car to car as he buys.
For the record, this is what it was powering which is testament to their ruggedness.[:p]
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Alan -you mean something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/30217i0.jpg
jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Your voltage drop may only be caused by your positive terminal not being tight enough. Remove it and give it a clean. You never know
Paul
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Alan -you mean something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/30217i0.jpg
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes Jeremy, that kind of thing only I think his had a bolt on clamps for the wires; very well made & the type of thing you change car to car. At the price you nearly have to take them with you.[:p]
Alan S