Post Plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post Plugs

Post by froggy »

Hi, just spoken to my local Citroen dealer. I want to buy ONE post plug ( 96130325) for my Xantia. They tell me , that they come in packs of 5!!! and will not sell seperatley, how rediculus ! £15 plus vat the pack of 5. What a joke . any thought s , Terry . [-X
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Post Plugs

Post by DickieG »

Very common with car parts, buy parts from Jaguar if you really want annoying anomalies, I had a V12 and wanted to buy fuel injector seals but Jaguar only sold them in packs of five, great thinking for a manufacturer who at the time only made 6 or 12 cylinder engines :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

From memory, my supplier only has the blue flip caps for PSA washer bottles in packs of a dozen or ten... Although, with the way they fail perhaps that's a normal one-car supply?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Not sure what you mean by a post plug ?
Anyway it sounds like a part they very rarely sell meaning they would buy 5 of them from citroen & have the other 4 of them sitting on the shelf for the next 5 years then have to wright them off in the next stock check.
Most small parts they sell come in multi packs, like for example the hight corrector dog bones, If i remember right they come in packs of 4 or 5 but they sell them individually as they are a fairly fast moving part. Spark plugs are usually bought in packs of 10.
It sounds a bit harsh but they are running a business at the end of the day, If you were a shop keeper and a kid came in & asked for a specific chocolate bar you never had because the don't sell very well would you go & buy a box of 20 from the wholesalers just to sell the kid one of them ?
Best thing to do is phone a few other local dealers & they may just have a random one in stock they have been trying to get rid of for years.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

DickieG wrote:Very common with car parts, buy parts from Jaguar if you really want annoying anomalies, I had a V12 and wanted to buy fuel injector seals but Jaguar only sold them in packs of five, great thinking for a manufacturer who at the time only made 6 or 12 cylinder engines :roll:
I think the HDi injector seals come in packs of 5 aswell but being a good seller they will sell them individually.
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Iam pretty sure these post plugs have a " short life ". So I can"t see why they won"t sell them indeviduallly,as there must be a resonable turn- over of this product.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Buy the pack and flog what you don't need on here. I need some....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

ok.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Slight off topic but talking of packaging madness:

I seem to recall the door mirror bolts (206 / 106 maybe others) came in bags of five :D , trouble is there's three per mirror...

So you've either got too many or not enough, assuming you don't just want one or two given it seems they are nearly always rounded I guess due to some owners inserting hex keys or not taking the trim out the way (so undoing them at an angle, works once lol)

I also think that might of changed since then, was a few years ago now.

I think given their narrow head its difficult to source suitable replacements elsewhere although normal bolts with their heads ground down about 1 or 2 mm are OK as they'll then clear the trim properly.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

spider wrote:Slight off topic but talking of packaging madness:

I seem to recall the door mirror bolts (206 / 106 maybe others) came in bags of five :D , trouble is there's three per mirror...

So you've either got too many or not enough, assuming you don't just want one or two given it seems they are nearly always rounded I guess due to some owners inserting hex keys or not taking the trim out the way (so undoing them at an angle, works once lol)

I also think that might of changed since then, was a few years ago now.

I think given their narrow head its difficult to source suitable replacements elsewhere although normal bolts with their heads ground down about 1 or 2 mm are OK as they'll then clear the trim properly.
That's to cover the all thumbs diyer who's always going to drop one inside the door
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

froggy wrote:Iam pretty sure these post plugs have a " short life ". So I can"t see why they won"t sell them indeviduallly,as there must be a resonable turn- over of this product.
So what is a post plug then ??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote:
froggy wrote:Iam pretty sure these post plugs have a " short life ". So I can"t see why they won"t sell them indeviduallly,as there must be a resonable turn- over of this product.
So what is a post plug then ??
It's the rubber bung that seals the rear end of the sill on the LH side of a Xantia. It's a square rubber bung about two inches square. They perish. You can see them easily by looking in the wheelarch...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

I just ordered some parts from the Citroen dealer in Cork.One thing I need is a pipe seal for the 4.5mm pipes(I'm changing a flat anti-sink sphere).He can only get them in packs of 100!
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Lol! I needed one of them for my old 1.8 16v Xantia (sadly now gone to a better place after the backbox set fire to the spare tyre. Great design!). My near side sill ended up full of water. You can just remove the two drain bungs and let it flow through! (yes I did).
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

CitroJim wrote:Buy the pack and flog what you don't need on here. I need some....
One needed here too - gone on the nearside sill of my father's beloved VSX.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën