Ongoing Xantia saga.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stepto1
My Cars:

Ongoing Xantia saga.

Post by Stepto1 »

During the last MOT, it was found that some of the hydraulic pipes needed replacing on my Xantia HDI. This included the 'curly' rear brake pipes and the one that runs from the ABS block under the bonnet to the rear.
After the work was done, there is an LHM leak from around the crossmember behind the rear of the sump. At least this is where it's dripping from. And it's getting worse. Any ideas where it might be coming from? I've checked all the obvious places but it's so tight under there and it in such a mess now it's hard to see. Getting fed up with this cars complexity. It just seems one thing after another. Never had this much hassle from any other car I've owned. :-(
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Ongoing Xantia saga.

Post by KennyW »

Did you replace the 3 pipes mentioned and if so did you use new seals. Obvious question but did you remove old seals from K connector and ABS block.

It might also be a plastic tube which is used on the steering rack which you have knocked off, this would result in a leak.Just find it and put back on this happened to me and I just pushed it back in and no leaks.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Well, it was the pipe that runs from the pump to the steering rack via a short length of rubber hose. It was rotten. It broke apart removing it. Well, the second, smaller diameter pipe did. The length from the pump is fine. I'm sending it off tomorrow to have the second half rebuilt so fingers crossed. Had a good look around and I think/hope this is the last pipe that needs doing.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Ps. The kind chaps at Pleiades said that this pipe is going on a lot of Xantias now and Citroen do not have any left.

If you need it doing, and judging by the state of mine many will, you need to remove the old pipe very carefully as Pleiades need the rubber section. They will then replace the rusted length for around £45.

The larger diameter section that runs from the pump should be ok as its thicker walled pipe and protected behind the rad. The smaller diameter section after the flexi hose is much thinner and is very exposed in the wheel arch and then runs along the FRONT of the crossmember. Not a good design. Mine was in a terrible state and had already been bodged once.

Hope this is of some help. Maybe worth checking yours.....?
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stepto1 wrote: Hope this is of some help. Maybe worth checking yours.....?
Very much so and if it looks reasonable, give it a good coating of Hammerite or similar to protect it. The root cause is very poor corrosion protection on the pipe.

It seems a problem almost unique to S2 cars. S1 cars hardly seem to suffer from it. They were much better protected.

Good to know Pleiades can now sort it if the rubber bit is OK. The alternative might be to fit a pipe from an S1 car although S1 HDis are very rare...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Just finished giving it half a dozen coats!

Waiting for it to dry so I can get it in the post.

Such a shame Citroen couldn't have spent a few Francs on better quality pipe work. I bet loads of Xantias will be sent to the scrappers over bits like this. At least Pleiades can sort it. Bit of a hassle having to send off the old one but these things are never easy.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I doubt the European cars are anywhere so bad.

Having bought a few used parts from the UK in my time, it's apparent where the road salt does its worst - everywhere under the car! :evil: You can see it's salt corrosion, as it looks just like salt water damage - not the result of standing moisture and freeze/thaw cycles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, it's salt Adam. This country and the pansies who run it are bloody obsessed with the horrible stuff. As soon as the temperature drops below 80 degrees the gritters are out with gay abandon throwing the stuff around like confetti... Kids today don't even know ice is actually slippery...

This country has such a passion for the evil stuff you can even buy sacks of it in Tesco...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's probably one of those self-regulated situations; the gritters get to assess when their work is necessary, how much to apply, and when to stop. Then they are paid with negligible third party oversight of the data.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Must be great for the watercourses? As I recall, salt more or less stops anything growing.

The pipes on my Xantia looked like the railings off the Titanic!

Well, I'm just waiting on the return of the pipes now. Driving the good lady's Seat Leon FR and my back is nearly broken!!!!
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Well, the new pipe to the steering rack is fitted and not leaking. I've cleaned it all up and all seems well.

While I was at the jet wash station, I pulled the radiator away from the intercooler to see how clean it was. Well it wasn't! The gap between the two was full of compost/hair/feathers/leaves. Gave it a blast out and it's like new. What a difference! I guess the air wasn't getting through the intercooler. It even sounds different now.

On the way down here tonight the side airbag light went out all by itself! Seems the onboard gremlins have good days too.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat