305 light switch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

305 light switch

Post by nametooshort »

Good morning folks!

Been a while, unfortunately I have been really busy with work and didnt really get a chance to mess around with my old cars much.

The light switch in my 305 wagon seems to have developed a problem. Everything works except high-beam flash. It switches from low beam to high beam OK, but if you try to flash the high beam with no lights on, it almost always doesn't work.

I took the switch apart, and obviously since its from the era of mechanical switches, before they started using digital control, and also it pretty much controls all the light functions of the car, its one complicated switch!

I think the reason the flasher does not work is because the plastic cam that controls the high-low switch and also the flash is physically just worn out from use, the lobe that's supposed to control this particular function is no longer tall enough to do its job.

My switch looks like this. These photos do NOT include the metal plate/cradle thing which clips around the whole unit, I have already removed it.

So, I am looking for a replacement switch I guess. Problem is, the correct switch seems to be really hard to find. Even PugCit themselves can't find it, neither in the US not in Europe.

However, a started looking on ebay UK (where ALL the cool stuff always shows up) and I noticed that there are several other PugCit vehicles of the era which have similar looking switches, the only difference being the cosmetic style of the stalk itself.

For exmaple, C15:
LINK

205:
LINK

So, am I right in assuming that the actual switch module itself is identical in quiet a lot of vehicles with only one exception, the fog lamp. Mine has no fog lamp, some have one, some have both)? And the only difference is the stalk?

So assuming that I don't mind driving around in a car with mis-matched stalk, I could just fit a 309/205/C15 switch?

Of course, in a perfect world, I would find a genuine 305 switch, but my car has the wrong wiring loom for the model, is all bashed up, has rope wrapped around the bumper, and looks like a complete piece of junk, so I think having mis-matching stalks would not hurt it one tiny bit.

Any ideas anybody?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 305 light switch

Post by spider »

The C15 switch is probably the "nearest" compared to the 205 one, simply as the C15 is a Visa switch as far as I can tell (they never updated it) whereas the 205 switch you linked to is the later one.

An early 205 switch (I think pre 87 certainly well before facelift) would be the same as the C15 one.

Its difficult to say, I don't have tech data that far back. If it was me I'd get a C15 switch, if possible a used one to be sure, I know there's a risk with a used one not working but you would be unlucky to get one with the same fault.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Have you tried Dean Hunter 01977677887 http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider

Post by spider »

What did you decide to do ? :)
Andy.

nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Hello.

Sorry for the slow reply, I don't have very much free time at the moment, my job is eating up most of my existence as usual.

Unfortunately I haven't done anything yet, although by the looks of it I am going to use one from a low-miles Pug 205 that my buddy bought for it's shell, to re-shell a crash damaged gti or something :roll:

I will update on how it goes when I actually get around to it.
puddlethumper
My Cars: Peugeot 305 van

Post by puddlethumper »

If you want alight switch i maybe able to help you out. I bought one from a scrappy a month or so ago because i thought mine had gone phut. Turned out it was something else so i have a spare one.
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

PM sent!
puddlethumper
My Cars: Peugeot 305 van

Post by puddlethumper »

Yo nametooshort, Do you want the 305 switch? Dunno what PM sent means.
spider

Post by spider »

puddlethumper wrote:Yo nametooshort, Do you want the 305 switch? Dunno what PM sent means.
It means he's sent you a message. :)

Check your messenger inbox here
Andy.