Berlingo bottom crank bolt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

makamobe
New User

Berlingo bottom crank bolt

Post by makamobe »

Hello im in need of a little help and advise please, I recently purchased a 1999 Berlingo van. Until today everything has been OK apart from a little break squeal. the van started to drive irraticly jerking like it was miss firing. When I got home I lifted the bonet to find that the power stearing belt had rolled off the pully a little on closer inspection I noticed the bottom pully was not squre to the rest causing the belt to slip, a look under the cam belt cover showed the same although the cam belt was still well on the cogs just over hanging slightly. I remover the front wheel in order to tighten up the bottom crank retaining bolt only to find that there wasnt one there just the hole. The engine turned over and started but ran iraticly and was smoky before I checked the bottom pully and has not been started since.

Am I likely to be facing a massive repair bill or will I be lucky enough to be able to replace the bolt and have the timing checked.

Thank You in advance Mark
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo bottom crank bolt

Post by Chlorate »

What engine is in your Berlingo Mark?

If the timing has only slipped a little bit, and it still runs (albeit badly) then you're probably OK. Depending on the engine, valve clashes can be rather fatal (i.e. engine wouldn't run at all) so I'd say you're safe.
I'd be tempted to just stick a new belt on, re time it and see if it works.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
makamobe
New User

Post by makamobe »

Hi Alex thank you for the reply, it's just a 1.9 diesel I hope that's what you needed. Do you mean fit a new cam belt ?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Aah, with the 1.9 diesel lump you'd almost certainly know if you had some valve clash. Timing belt failed on my 1.9TD (belt totally snapped) piston met valve and smashed the camshaft into three pieces, I've heard this is quite common. But since yours still runs I'd say it's probably fine.
Fit a new cam belt or reuse the old one if it hasn't been damaged when it skipped teeth. It's one of those "well since I'm here I may as well change it" sort of jobs.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: