do these brakes look ok?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

do these brakes look ok?

Post by john »

so, the brake warning light occasionaly comes on when braking, i know what the front discs and pads should look like but ive never had drums or shoes, so do these look ok?

Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: do these brakes look ok?

Post by CitroJim »

Ohh nasty...

I'd say that the shoes have been fairly recently replaced following the old ones wearing down to the rivets and scoring the drums badly. It looks like the drums should have been replaced as well. Basically the braking surface on the drum should be shiny and dead smooth and not scored like yours are.

One potential cause and one I've had on Robyn's 206 (same brakes) is that the linings can detach from the shoe and if any distance is covered with a detached lining then the drum certainly risks being scored badly.

Ideally the drums need replacing or truing up by an engineering firm.

Something to be aware of is the auto adjuster mechanism in these is notoriously unreliable in my experience.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

TBH, no I wouldn't like these on something although I really don't like drum brakes in the first place. They don't look like there's an even smooth point of contact ANYWHERE and must judder and squeel looking at the surface area of contact and not be scored as shown in the pictures. The actual drum has scored as well as the shoes and with brakes you really can't take chances and usually they don't even cost big chunks of money so I'd always err on caution and renew the drums and shoes.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

there is no squeel or judder, only checked because of the warning light and the handbrake needs a good 5 clicks to hold the car.

whats the adjuster? is that the metal part that runs parallel to a spring and piston like thing?

news shoes and drums are getting ordered.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

john wrote: whats the adjuster? is that the metal part that runs parallel to a spring and piston like thing?
Yep, that's it John... You'll see it has a barrel screw operated by a ratchet and pawl. It takes up wear and it is likely not working if the handbrake comes up five clicks.

I'm not aware of any electrical wear indicators on the rear brakes. If the light is coming on then that'll be the front discs. If the pads really are good the pad sense wires may be chafed and occasionally touching earth somewhere. The routing is critical and if wrong they'll soon find some metal to chafe on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I actually wouldn't sweat it on those rears. Not ideal, but plenty of meat on the shoes and the scoring will clean up next time around. You can see by the shininess, the shoes have adapted to the drum wearing surface as it stands (or rolls).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Jim and more offten than not when i take this type of drum brakes apart i find the tiny stainless steel pawl missing completely,

this locks the adjuster from un/winding and if you are not very carefull on fitting/setting up you can dislodge it,
it is also possible for the unaware to fit the adjusters on the wrong sides as on has a right hand thread and the other a left hand thread,

if fitted on the wrong sides they will un/wind and possibly kick the pawl out of its seat,

there is not warning light sensors on the rears,
if the front brakes and sensor wires are in good order it could be the fluid is low causing the lamp to come on,

regards malcolm
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

RE the front brakes, managed to get a look and am i correct in thinking if the pads have wear sensor there should be a plug?, the pads are around 5mm+ (and will be changed) but i see no plug, i do so what appears to be a tag for want of a better word though, the brake fluid is around 3/4 between min-max and the warning buzzer/light still sounds :roll:
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They should be something like this:

Image.

If the lead is not attached then it is likely floating around somewhere and shorting to earth, giving rise to the warning indicator.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

must be floating around, all 4 pads have nothing connected :(
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There are generally only two pads wired up, one on each calliper.
That's not a Citroen brake pad by the way, just a random image that demonstrates the principle.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Is brake fluid on the min?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

will mine definitely have a wear sensor? its a mk1 forte, doesn't have central locking or electric windows etc
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

waynedance wrote:Is brake fluid on the min?
no, just below max
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The Berlingo reservoir needs to be really full to keep the light off,you may be surprised how much more fluid it will take.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami