Electrical Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Electrical Help

Post by Guru Meditation »

My ZX TD 93 has developed over the last couple of days an electrical fault. I haven't done any investigation yet I thought I'd bounce some ideas from here first-someone might know the exact fix!
When I press the brake pedal with the headlights off my brake lights illuminate-but so do my sidelights!! The sidelight bulb in the instrument panel illuminates also to about 50-100% of it's normal intensity. Obviously lights that flash as you brake is potentially serious.
Worse still when my dipped headlights are on my brake lights are permanently illuminated, when you press the brake pedal they get a little bit brighter but are constantly on. Again, not that safe and also begging for a tug from plod.
My initial thought is an earthing fault but I could be way off so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced such a fault.
Guru Meditation.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Earth is the most likely - or something in the earth circuit. Bet its the left one.
jeremy
Guru Meditation

When you say the left one, do you mean the left rear light cluster?
Ta
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Other option is you've fitted a double filament bulb where there shouldn't be one, or fitted one the wrong way round[:D]
But you wouldn't have done that, would you[?][:I]
RichardW
Guru Meditation

Hmmm...I DID fit a replacement brake light bulb last week in the right rear cluster and I've only noticed the problem since then, kind of coincidental....-I am sure it was an identical replacement I did a quick visual check when I swapped 'em over but it was dark at the time. I still have the old one (don't ask me why the hell I keep blown bulbs) I'll have a look when I get out of work, I'll feel a right tit if it is that but I'll be glad if it's such a simple fault:-)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

There is a connection from one brake light to the side light. This is caused by the earth coming off. Remove each bulb in turn and check the pedal again. when the fault goes away, that is the duff side. clean the lamp holders up with wet and dry and check for a good earth connection through the loom to the bodyshell.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes guru I was thinking of the left light cluster. Bulb theory sounds worth following.
jeremy<font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black">
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Blown bulbs signify unearthliness, Guru. Best check those earths
Guru Meditation

I had a look this evening the new buld I put in seems to be single filament and of the same type as the blown one, but it's presence is what is causing the fault. For the time being I have removed it-better just one brake light than permanently illuminated brake lights and headlights that flash everytime you brake...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Glad it is diagnosed, Guru, the right bulb should sort it out. It may be wise to give the holders a good clean, though, if you are regularly blowing bulbs; which ones go?
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Guru, check the lamp holder as I had a problem in my Xantia estate,although only a single filimant lamp is reqd a double filimant lampholder is in the loom.
The car failed the MOT and the garage thought they would do me a good turn and replaced the lamp to pass the car,but what a runaround as I was chasing a bad earth,but once the double filimant lamp was in place everything went back to normal.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Most breke lights are twin filament (stop and tail). Putting a single filament bulb in a twin fillament socket would cause all the problems you have mentiond. I have little doubt that this is the problem.
Guru Meditation

Hmm..the bulb I've fitted is single filament I'll try getting hold of a double filament bulb if that's what's required. BTW I've had the car since last december and the right stop light is the first bulb to blow so far, so hopefully it hasn't developed a major earth/wiring fault.
GM
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Guru -
The only thing that could happen is that the single bulb shortcircuits the side light & stop lights circuits - which MAY overload either circuits fuse.
So you just have to look for a blown fuse - if dead lights with a correct bulb inserted.