1.6 HDi verdict ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

1.6 HDi verdict ?

Post by HDI »

I'm contemplating the purchase of a C4 HDi with the 1.6 engine, whats the verdict on this ? Would go for the 110 or 138 BHP version.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 1.6 HDi verdict ?

Post by spider »

I'll watch this thread with interest.

Without wanting to spoil it :oops: , if I had the choice I'd rather have an 8v unit (if either of these are) 110+ is a lot for a 1600 unit to produce...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think they are all 16 valve :( but I believe the fuel consumption of the 1.6 is excellent, the 2.0, 110 in my 406 will do 60mpg+ but I believe the 1.6 is even better.

Peter
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

spider wrote:I'll watch this thread with interest.

Without wanting to spoil it :oops: , if I had the choice I'd rather have an 8v unit (if either of these are) 110+ is a lot for a 1600 unit to produce...
The Petrol sister of this engine produces 200bhp and 275nm of torque, im sure the little derv can cope with 138bhp and 270nm no worries :wink: should be a good little engine too ive not heard anything bad about them.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Make sure it has been serviced at the most every 10k miles, as the turbo is a big problem on this engine but only due to a lack of oil to cool it. Throw away the small oil strainer which blocks and causes this problem. Also it should ideally run n the Total low sulphur oil (ECS) as this helps the DPF filter.

I would go for the 2.0 138bhp 16v in a C4, perhaps, as they don't suffer the turbo issues which are common on the 1.6. Though I stress its down to servicing, Citroens recommendations seem too long and then people miss services or use the incorrect oil.

I heard recently, from a family member whos Peugeot 1.6HDi ate its turbo, that the new turbo would ony be covered by warranty if a reconditioned or new engine was fitted.

Its a great engine, drives well, refined and very economical, just buy one which has been over serviced and keep it that way.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hy sister has run an 06 C4 HDi 1.6 16v 110hp SX hatch since it was 6 months old with 3k miles
on the clock after buying it from a Cit Dealer in Colchester - she had to be taken all that way there
from Swansea as IT JUST HAD to be a black one!!

She totally loves it
(although it's not my cup of tea, I always feel green around the gills travelling as a passenger in it - it's just too damned firm on the "ride")

The car only ever needs pads and tyres and seems to munch through discs but it's on the cusp of 100k
miles now and has been a very reliable sturdy/robust bit of kit returning easy high 50's plus mpg and
it really loves the motorway miles - the engine seems well up for whatever is thrown at it but mind
the servicing has always been done by the local Swansea Cit dealer.

Only thing that was extra to the servicing was a snapped coil spring on the offside front strut
which was a bit of a panic although not particularly expensive (Cit dealer offered non Cit branded
part that was equivalent OEM quality) and a holed AC rad that seems to have had a foreign object
hole it as it didn't look like a corrosion failure. It did snap the lug mounting on the front hub casting
where it mounts the lower balljoint but a motorcyclist did run head on into the wheel sideswiping
the car overtaking it as it turned at a junction...

I personally quite like the fixed hub steering wheel and the distinctive appearance (esp in black)
which has grown on me although the best thing I ever did was buy her a rubberised loadliner
the minute she got the car and it's like new in the boot!! In fact, the whole car is wearing very well.

I'd say get yourself one and you'll love it. Just don't expect any suspension in the real sense
of the Citroen word!! In the end, it is an easy car to live with and like a lot.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën