Starter Motor Problem - Help me before I scrap it!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Starter Motor Problem - Help me before I scrap it!

Post by mbunting »

Xantia 1994 TD.
Brief History:
Clutch replaced, flywheel skimmed, all by a national clutch replacement franchise.
Various hydraulic problems result - fixed by me.
During replacement of the clutch, they broke the plastic cable tray which sits over the housing, and have tied the cables using cable ties.
On Saturday, I was rinsing down the engine bay, and went back upstairs ( car locked, keys in my pocket ). I heard the car start, and as it was in gear, it crunched into the back of the ax ( no damage ), and pushed it 2m before I got to it. Let it dry off, didn't happen again, and car has behaved.
Tonight, on the way home from work, I heard a funny buzzing sound, that appeared to be engine speed related, it went away, and I thought nothing else of it.
Got home, and went to go back out tonight, to be greeted with absolute silence when turning the key to start the engine.
I have checked all fuses, they're all fine ( in the footwell, and engine bay ), and I have checked for a voltage to the starter solenoid ( there is a voltage ), but I couldn't check the feed from the solenoid to the starter due to it being dark, raining, and difficult to get to.
I took the solenoid out ( the cabling has melted on the thick + cable ), and put the multimeter between the battery + and the feed which went from the solenoid into the starter, +12v registered.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would indicate:
a) The starter has a connection to - which is working.
b) The starter in itself is passing current ( but why didn't it do anything like turning when I created a circuit with the multimeter ? )
c) The circuit to the solenoid is ok.
What could I be looking at here, a burnt out starter ?
We're getting married on Friday, and this wreck is supposed to be driving us to Orkney on Monday morning. Needless to say, my confidence ( which is usually high ) is somewhat dented at the moment. To top it all, tomorrow is my last day at work, and I need to get in to work in the morning !
Thanks for any pointers ( I know I can bump-start the car, I live at the top of a hill, but the car park at work is level ! ).
Mat.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mat -
The buzzing you heard once during drive - is most likely the starter that engaged for a while.
Also the self thinking of your car to start is a telltale.
It seems that the starter engaging relay or circuit has a faulty/intermittent +12V feed somewhere - most likely a burn-over in your ignition switch - or related cabling.
Or the problem may be in the solonoid cabling/studs.
The spooky starter engaging has now most likely burnt out your starter brushes - even worse problems may be present by your observation of the burnt cable.
Since time is a large factor here - and also to prevent exhausting yourself - I suggest the following :
1) find a breakers starter motor - and swap the starter.
2) disconnect the original wire to the starter solonoid - and preliminary fit a relay controlled by a push button switch.
Later you may take your time to find the spooky starter engaging problem.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Thanks Anders,
Looks like the + to the solenoid came loose on the stud, and gradually rotated round towards the front of the car, and then started arcing on the other lead, which has caused the problems.
I'm putting the car back together, and bump-starting to get me going, will visit the scrappy tomorrow.
Mat.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I had a fault in my ignition switch that made the starter come on while it was being driven along. Sadly, it was the missus and not me that was at the wheel at the time, so she just drove on regardless for half a mile until the starter unit melted. Cost me £400, what with a new switch, but at least it didn't destroy the wiring loom.
I don't expect I've cheered you up very much, have I? [:o)]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

AA came out this morning, and diagnosed buggered starter motor.
Took me 25 mins to dismantle and remove the whole unit ( quite pleased with that !), and a new one will be fitted tonight.
Thanks for your re-assuring comments !!!!!
It took me 2.5 hours to travel 40 miles to work by public transport this morning, god I miss my car !