205 gti

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allant

205 gti

Post by allant »

Hi first post sorry its going to be long winded,my son bought a 205 gti and its been plauged with silly faults,ie fuel pump not working,this was replaced along with relay and ran great for 2 weeks,then it lost spark at ignition I replaced amplifier no joy sent dizzy of to get refurbished re fitted it it then started an ran for about three weeks it then lost spark again cut out and would not start,whilst testing wiring for power it then burst in-to life and ran again for amonth then same again ,on checking loom found lots of wires had been cut joined an numerous scotchlocks in place.I then decide to fit another uncut identical loom,but it still has no spark,it has power to coil and amplifier also at tachymetric relay new coil fitted just for good messure there is a 3 pin multi plug to connect to distributor plug there does not seem to be power at any of these wires when igition is on or when cranking over is this normal.Can any of you guys shed any light on this as it is now doing my head in and now remember how I left the motor trade in the first place .It is a 1.9 1991 pre cat model and despite all this we still actually like this car thanks in advance Allan
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: 205 gti

Post by Deanxm »

Have you checked the crankshaft sensor and its loom on the bellhousing, thats the usual culprit for a non ignition after the amp, its worth a look, nice car the GTI, i like them a lot.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
allant

Post by allant »

thanks foryour input i forgot to add its a pre crank sensor model.its the same type of symtoms its showing
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

well you didnt, its got a dizzy, i just didnt read properly :oops:

Does the car have an after market alarm system or has it ever?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

There's an interuption between the ignition module on the distributor and the ECU / ignition relay.

You need to carefully trace these wires to see why.

There should be power present at the module when the ignition is on and during cranking. I wonder if the ECU is faulty...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

It will be a "dodgy wire" for sure,always is on GTi`s.I`m trying to think of "black spots"?? the bunch of wiring that is clipped under the inlet manifold? big multi-block hidden under the air flow meter? pull the gaitor back on the ignition module multi plug to see if the wiring is all intact? a new ignition module wont brake the bank? This will be the sort of fault that takes ten hours to find and ten minutes to fix,best of luck.
allant

Post by allant »

yes its had several aftermarket alarms and immobilisers in its life fitted by one owner removed by the next thats how I put in a fresh loom,I have buzzed out near all the loom wires and agree there is an interuption between module and dizzy.I will just have to keep trying as my first post you will see ive replaced near all there is to replace and it will be some thing very minor,I will be most grateful of any ideas and thanks so far Allan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Posts are missing due to the forum restore. Although I was not able to find any wiring diagrams in Servicebox to assist, it said the image / diagram was missing. I suspect they decided not to add it. Interestingly it was the only one (power unit) anyway.

Might have to examine the Haynes then I guess...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Might be worth giving the 205 GTi Drivers Forum a go - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Franklin
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Have you checked the Earths around the gearbox?? my old 309 cut out on me when i had it, got towed to my local garage and they couldnt find anything, brother and i got it home and tried all we could think off, local pug garage took it and sorted it qas was Gearbox Earth! worth checking, iirc is a battery to gearbox, battery to battery tray and battery tio chassis earths,
is well worth openeing up All the multi plugs in the engine bay, cleaning them up, smear of vasalene and cabletieing them back together! did this on the Bx 16v (mi16) and made a great difference to how everything worked!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor