306 HDi D Turbo non start/parts replaced

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevomcguffster

306 HDi D Turbo non start/parts replaced

Post by stevomcguffster »

Hi guys, i'm hoping someone can help a new member with his 306 HDi 90 engine. I'm not the most computery kind of guy but i've been keeping an eye on this forum for a while now and thought i'd best join up... I'm definately not new to a French car and currntly own 2, a 306 HDi D Turbo and a 106 Rallye S2.

Anyway on to my massively frustrating problem. My engine won't start so after i investigated i decided to replace a few parts, i put a brand new lift pump in the tank and i sourced a 2nd hand high pressure pump after i sent my own to be tested and was told it was faulty. I also replaced things like timing belt water pump etc but these are not really important.

I can get fuel from the tank to the high pressure pump but not at the injectors. I know the rail needs 120 bar before it'll send fuel to the injectors but i don't think it's getting as far as the rail. When i cracked the nut where the fuel exits the pump there was fuel but not nearly as much as i'd expect. When i turn the engine over then crack the injectors then no4 injector has pressure at it but the others are bone dry.
I've checked all the wiring from the sensors etc and all are good. I can't get to remove the fuel rail pressure sensor as i don't have a big enough spanner but i'm not certain it is this.
The engine fires up with a burst of easy start but then nothing.

These are the codes that were stored on the ecu. P0230. P0190. P0380.

Does it sound like i've been flogged a duff hp pump?

One final thing, the car has a Diesel Express plug in chip that boosts power to approx 110 bhp. It was fitted when i bought the car and i've never touched it. Does anyone have any experience with this part and could this be affecting the starting?

I really hope someone can help as my head is completely fryed with it and i just can't understand it...

Thanks Steven
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 306 HDi D Turbo non start/parts replaced

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Steven

Welcome to the forum. I have not had a great deal of experience with Hdi having only recently acquired them but have run XUDs almost since their appeared. Low fuel line can be caused by leaky injector/s, if you run each leakoff into a small recepticle, if one is passing much more than the others that will be the faulty one. The other usual problems are crank and camshaft sensor problems.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Sounds like you have problems, try Googling the fault codes, they relate to fuel rail pressure problems.
Have you got fuel pressure up to the fuel filter?, just take off any pipe and see if fuel spurts out with the ignition on. It will pulse for a couple of seconds. The fuel pump relay is behind the battery and Ecu, and these burn out sometimes.The wiring across the front crossmember is prone for corroding on 306, so if no fuel relay , this could be a cause.
One point is that you cannot test fuel pressure at the injectors by undying a pipe, they don't work like that, in fact if you loosen a pipe with the engine running, you lower the rail pressure so much the engine will stop.
You will get all those fault codes if the in tank pump isn't working, but I doubt it's the hp pump, also if it runs on easy start , this will usually get it past an injector leak and it will carry on running until switched off.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I had a mate working on a 306 90bhp hdi that did the same thing, he was tearing his hair out with it, turned out to be the high pressure pump as that would start on easystart and then run but smoked like a pig, P0190 looks familai and i think is low pressure at the rail, have you got a set of node lights you can check to see if the injectors are firing, from memory the ecu wont fire the injectors unless it see's enough pressure at the rail so you could check to see if they are getting a pulse when cranking, a lexia/planet diag would be able to tell you what the rail pressure is if you look at live data, do you have access to one?

Also a duff fuel pressure sensor will kill the engine, if the sensor is dead and under reading fuel pressure the injectors wont fire.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
stevomcguffster

Post by stevomcguffster »

Thanks for the replies. I've just found P0190 to be fuel pressure sensor code however does that mean the pressure it's reading or the sensor at fault. I think i'll see if I can source a sensor and try that it's just they ain't cheap.
Lighty, I changed the lift pump and have full pressure up to and beyond the fuel filter, tested by couping fuel over my engine bay...
Deanxm, I have an OBD2 code reader with some different software and i think i can get live feeds from it. I'm having to borrow a boost pack from a mate as my battery is flat and can't get enough juice in to fire up the ECU from jumping with my Rallye.
I'll hopefully get a sensor and a boost pack by friday and i'll try the live data before and after i fit the sensor.
I actually think i might throw a little girl wobbly if it turns out to be 'just' a sensor.

Again thanks for the help guys it's very much appreciated and i shall post what i find when i can get the part fitted
Thanks Steven
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

No those sensors are not cheap, get one from a breakers, wouldnt like to buy new on a hunch!

Good luck with it

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............