xantia battery drain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

xantia battery drain

Post by allanmc »

Hi, xantia series 2 hdi 2ltr. year 2000, still looking for answer to my battery drain problem which I have had for more than year can someone please help.
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: Xantia battery drain

Post by andmcit »

An excellent how to is found here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile ... ery-drains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically get a meter and read across the separate circuits fused by reading across each fuse or
as they mention, see which circuit stops the drain upon removal of the fuse. Then at least you
can concentrate on that specific circuit to determine which component isn't switching properly.
It's time consuming but ultimately worth it to restore the car to reliable running again. I had a
similar issue with my Xm v6 and it turned out to be the electric switch on the passenger seat.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for getting back so quickly when I rermove the 25fuse the battery dosent drain this fuse controls the CPH,Radio,Instument Cluster,Alarm warning lamp,Clock,and Exterior temperature display,at first I thought it would be the CPH the problem is there are 2 other fuses which say CPH does this mean that there are 3 CPH units
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

You'll need to take a reading of the draw from the battery with the ignition
off and disconnect each of those items to see if there's a stop/drop in the
power loss - I realise it's a bit laborious but the radio alarm light and clock
need removal to get at the dash cluster!

AFAIK there's just the one CPH in the bowels of the dash behind the glovebox
and I initially wouldn't see this at the top of the list of suspects TBH. That said,
is your car an Exclusive spec as I've seen a few (including my V6) develop issues
where the immobiliser CPH locks out and won't start although there's a potential fix
in the fusebox wiring beneath the 'consumer unit' power box that sits alongside
the battery.

If all else fails, ifthe power drain isn't excessive and just catches you out over time,
you can keep on top of the issue by getting a trickle charge solar panel from Maplins
to sit on the dash!!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks again I suppose I will have to check everything on the fuse I checked the radio a while ago and tried to get to the CPH behind the glove box but gave up as I was unsure about the air bag but as you say its unlikely to be that anyway my car is not an exclusive so I will have a few hours getting to the other things I should have done that months ago. I should have said that the car wont start after two days I think its about a bit more than an Amp so after 48 hrs it wont start
allan
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Checked the radio,clock.cluster,all ok so then decided to follow the instuctions you sent me, and use my multimeter, here are the results I hope you can make something of them, nothing on, 0.700milliamps acording to the paper work this is too much, so started drawing fuses and when I got to the number 4 fuse in the engine comp. the meter dropped to 0.004 replaced this fuse the reading went back to 0.700 when I removed the Bitron Relay it went back to 0.004,I have replaced this relay with the same results, if I had a wireing diagram of this it might help.
allan
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Did anything stop working when you pulled that No 4 fuse because according to the manual I have it's a battery+ and is not used so could be some faulty aftermarket add on .
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Dont think so in my hand book it says Relay Supply (2.0 ltr HDI ) and when I removed the Relay next to the ECU in the engine comp. the meter read 0.004 I have to say this was suspect before thats why I replaced it.
allan
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Is the battery actually draining Allan or is it just that there isn't enough juce to power a start or other power intensive things? I just ask as I replaced a not too old battery thinking there was a dud cell in it .. turned out it was a negative earth on its way out. When I finally figured that out, (it wouldn't start) I just ran another earth from the gearbox to the battery, 15 minute job, and everything has changed.
Hope this helps,
Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If I have grasped the situation correctly, your drain current disappears when you unplug the relay, but a replacement relay gave the same symptoms?
The relay should not be energised with the ignition switched off, so the problem seems to related to something energising the relay when it should not.

I agree that a wiring diagram showing the relay would be useful. At a guess I would suspect that that relay might be controlled by the engine ECU, or maybe directly from the ignition switch.
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

The battery has been changed and checked so I am sure that isnt the problem, it looks like I will have to get a diagram before I can get to the bottom of this Citro Jim said he would try and help but so far has been unauccessful
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: I agree that a wiring diagram showing the relay would be useful. At a guess I would suspect that that relay might be controlled by the engine ECU, or maybe directly from the ignition switch.
Yes, I really am quite desperate to get my hands on a set of HDi wiring diagrams. Pleeeeeassssse somebody will you please relive my desperation!!

Mike, yes, I'd agree that the relay is likely to be operated via the ECU. That is very much the case in all other engines that have a double injection relay. generally the immobiliser transponder communicates with the ECU to operate the relay.

We really do need diagrams...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Yes, I really am quite desperate to get my hands on a set of HDi wiring diagrams. Pleeeeeassssse somebody will you please relive my desperation!!

I think this might be what you're looking for Jim/Allan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-ELECT ... 5d33dc9c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHD-CITROEN-X ... 2c660793dc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way he seems to have a load of Citroen docs.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

c.morewood wrote: I think this might be what you're looking for Jim/Allan
Chris, you're a marvel :-D 8-) =D>

Already bought :-D :-D :-D No hanging about :)

Thanks ever so Chris, really appreciated...

Right, hold on whilst the postman does his thing Allan and we should then be able to make progress :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks Chris for the link about the wireing diagrams and I see that Jim has already ordered one I didnt mean for anyone to be out of pocket for this I would have ordered one myself but as I am going on holiday on Sun. for a month and didnt know exactly what to order I was going to wait until I came home and then order it
allan