306 accelerator sticking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

306 accelerator sticking

Post by froggy »

Hi, my wifes 306 [ 2000- petrol] The accelerator cable is starting to stick ! when you press it , sometimes it stays fully down or half way up ! is it a simple case of lubricating it ? or maybe replacing it? any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks Terry .
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 306 accelerator sticking

Post by spider »

You could try lubricating it. I would suspect the "problem" is the cable inner is fraying and the fragment / frayed strand is causing it to stick.

Start with the easy things though take it off at the throttle body and check that the throttle body itself is not at fault, put it back then do the same at the pedal end too, just to determine it is the cable at fault.

Replacements from the dealer are not a straight swap you get a large kit of parts to assemble the cable with / cut down to size etc, or you used to anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Those accelerator kits are a pain in the bum! Gsf & Euro supply the same kits also! A huge great lucky bag and when you have finished cutting and fitting you have half the bag left over!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote:Those accelerator kits are a pain in the bum!
Indeed they are :twisted: I have a bag of left-over bits here and can't bear to chuck them just in case some of it may be useful one day...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When Cassy's went I popped to the local bicycle shop and got a gear cable with a small block on the end, the same size as the throttle cable block so it would fit in the plastic pedal clip.
Cut the throttle end and pull it out through footwell, carefully prise the plastic clip off and press it onto the end of the gear cable then feed it from the footwell up the old sheath to the throttle body.
Costs about £3 rather than what Peugeot charge and gives a snappier throttle response.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool