ZX Starter Motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

ZX Starter Motor

Post by the_weaver »

Hi folks

Are the starter motors on the ZX 1.9D standard across the range, or are there differences that I need to know about, for example, the number of teeth on the pinion?

I've had a few problems with my starter motor recently, and I've just bought a secondhand spare from ebay. The ebay motor is a Valeo D7R8 from a 1996 ZX 1.9D. My car is a 1993, ZX 1.9D. The label seems to have fallen off my starter motor, but it looks the same as the Valeo one I've bought on ebay.

The problem I've had is a "delay" when starting the car. You turn the key, there's a delay, and then the starter starts turning the engine. The delay only lasts about 0.5 second, or maybe 1 second, but it feels like the car isn't going to start. It's also intermittent, and difficult to fix, because it only happens once every two or three days.

It could be a number of things causing the problem, for example, worn brushes, bad cables/earths, slow/sticky solenoid, rust on pinion, bad connections, failing ignition switch, solenoid contacts worn out. I'd like to fix it, but because it's so intermittent I've decided to change the starter, to help with the diagnostic process.

At the moment, I'm thinking it's probably the solenoid. I think the delay might be caused by a sticky or slow moving solenoid, taking a long time to get the main contacts closed. Is it possible to take the solenoid apart on the ZX starter, or are they sealed? Can I remove the plunger, and clean/grease it? Is it possible to check and replace the main contacts inside the solenoid?

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.