Noisy turbo HDi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Noisy turbo HDi 110

Post by RichardW »

For a while now the Xantia's turbo has been noisy on load - somewhere between a whistle and high pitched exhuast rattle. I was changing the oil today, so dropped off the short flexi on the outlet of the turbo, but this is intact - although it is oily around there and on the end of the diff casing. Are there any other weak points for a boost leak? Can't see any oil evidence along the bottom of the rad, suggesting the IC is not away.

I'm starting to think the turbo may be past its best - but I'm not changing it, it can whistle for that! See if it's better with new oil.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Noisy turbo HDi 110

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Richard

It maybe a leak on the intake side, in which case it wouldn't affect the performance but would increase the noise.

Peter
Bick

Post by Bick »

is there excessive play in the turbo shaft - how many miles on the clock - what milage has the oil been changed at and has fully sinthetic been used?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I use semi synthetic oil and change at the clock intervals of which is 12,500. now on 212k and my turbo is s ilent still and still strong and all original so i wouldnt of thought synthetic or non synthetic would cause it. possibly just bad luck. if the boost is still good and theres no oil loss it will be annoying rather more then anything else. as for actual cause of noise other then no obviouse hose leaks which useually give a loud hisss and besides on a hdi if there was excessive boost pressure loss the ecu would throw its dummy out for lack of boost pressure i think im not sure what else it could be...

a turbo swap on a hdi in situ is - well impossible without taking the engine out unfortinally. i know this from experiance!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

My 110 has had a noisy turbo since I've had it.

It pulls fine and all the pipe work looks good.

I use fully synth Rock Oil that I have good supplier of at a cheap price.

Racing boys swear by the stuff so I'll stick with it till I hear otherwise.
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's done 132k, oil changed at about 12k intervals by me since 50k when I got it. Certainly not aware of any loss of boost :) First noticed it a couple of months ago when I changed the back box - which had been rattling for about 8 moths before that, and hiding any other noises! It does seem worse when the oil is cold, which kind of points to the turbo, but it's noisier on boost, which points to a leak, it also changes pitch as the load changes, and the ECU presumably regulates the boost pressure. My other thought is the pipe to manifold joint, which didn't have a new gasket when I had the pipe off. Don't really want to go there again, but the pipe is starting to look pretty scabby so I think I may well be, for some more MIG action.... :roll: No evidence the joint is leaking though. Just turn up the radio and ignore it!
Richard W